Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to tell if the bearings on the 2035 are shot? I'm getting a grinding noise, spark and the engine will just stop on it's own. Lamp works. smoke works. And while she's running, other than the noise and sparks, she flys!

Considering all I've read about how hard it is to pull drive wheels and re-align them, would my best bet be a shop(it's a really nice 2035!)

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Where are you seeing sparks? Under the engine... few things to check.... look to see that the wheels are clean and shiny... the boiler is a bit rough to remove.... The front presses on, and there is one screw in front of the cab on top.... but there is a threaded pin just above the left "Piston" it unscrews to release the boiler and allow access to the motor....

Two Screws let you remove the brush plate... it should be clean and dust/dirt free the communicator plate on the motor should be clean and shiny and free of deep grooves. also make sure the spaces between the communicator plates is clean and dirt free...

Here is a picture breakdown of that engine.... The Pin your looking for is listed as the side motor screw.

2035.jpg

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies:)
Rich/T-Man, I had to take her apart because the light & Smoke unit wires had broken off(age?). While I had her out, I oiled & lubed(lionel products) There is some side to side movement of the drive wheels(1/8 ") I was running her on a 1033 transformer that works fine with all my other engines(1 at a time)
My concern is the age factor, and the fact that I don't think I could manage taking the drive wheels off. I did buy a wheel puller a while back, and tried it on a junk chassis. Couldn't pull a wheel! It's the one that has the adjustable wings that pull on the wheels, not the one that looks like a battery tool. Waste of $$$
The roller contact are all clean and the springs are in great shape. Track works fine for everything else I run on it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
I do not understand why you want to remove the wheels???
Buy a replacement motor new/refurb not used. It will run like new.
If you buy a used one, you will have one to compare it wth. The cost will be half as much but may not solve your problem. I beat you to B& Ms motor. I don't think he has another.

Try to snug the wheels a tad, with padding and a vise. If you jam it up then you will have to use the puller.

With A puller apply pressure then tap with a hammer. Turn and tap again. Ounce you have movement it will pull right off. It is not fun getting back on. Each wheel has to be lined up with a specific gear tooth since the wheels are rodded together.

In the early edition the picture is from the Auro tech manual, the blue hardcover book of many names.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T-Man, I'm thinking that buying a motor would be the cheapest way to go! I'm just a bit leery about some that are listed on the bay. Bought a replacement for a 2026 once, what a nightmare:(

I'll try the vice route. I'm going to take it apart again and see if there's something binding. The funny thing is, when you just push her down the track with no power, you don't get that noise! Wonder if I should replace the brushes and springs. I did take them out(brushes at about 65% & springs appeared fine), and cleaned the face of the rotor. I also made sure that there was no debris between each of the 3 sections of the face.

And thanks for your reply, you're a constant source of valuable information:thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By The Way!

The local guy that works on Lionel Engines, charges a flat $37 + parts. Is that a good price? all the LHS's(3) use this one guy.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Thanks for the info, but if this or this is the going price I think I will pass for now :eek:

And no, I do not have any extra motors...
Thanks for the info, but if this or this is the going price I think I will pass for now :eek:

And no, I do not have any extra motors...

B&M,

You can find that same #2035 Lionel tech drawing (and dozens of others like it, for many post-war Lionel trains) in Greenberg's Repair and Operating Manual for Lionel Trains, 1945 - 1969. I just picked up a copy on Amazon for $16. I've been sleeping with it below my pillow!

http://www.amazon.com/Greenbergs-Re..._1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268331101&sr=8-1#noop

TJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the info, but if this or this is the going price I think I will pass for now
WOW.... I paid $43 for mine since it had "writing" in it.... turns out the writing is the notes for an authorized Lionel Tech... so its now priceless. :D Most of it is about updated part numbers and substitute parts for hard to find items.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks TJ, that was the first one I bought. There are some things in Greenbergs not in my K-Line. I have a 3650 Search Light Extension Car. The reel unit was broken off(another toy I ruined:D) I just got the new part, put am not sure how the electrics were attached. I know one lead goes to the truck, but how about the other? And what grounds what?:confused:

If anyone needs copies of anything, let me know!

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can find that same #2035 Lionel tech drawing (and dozens of others like it, for many post-war Lionel trains) in Greenberg's Repair and Operating Manual for Lionel Trains, 1945 - 1969. I just picked up a copy on Amazon for $16. I've been sleeping with it below my pillow!

http://www.amazon.com/Greenbergs-Re..._1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268331101&sr=8-1#noop
Sleeping with it? and how does your wife/girlfriend/significant other feel about that?

Thanks for the lead.... I just ordered myself a copy, can never have to many train books.... I think I will avoid sleeping with it tho :p.... Amazon is doing free 2 day shipping if anyone else wants to pick it up

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Shhh ... Do NOT tell my wife ...

As a "grown up kid", I caught the "train bug" last fall. (Had stuff from a kid ... HO, O.) I figured with two young boys of my own, we'd have some fun...

"How much?", my wife asked.

"Lots!", I said.

"No ... How MUCH $$$$$$$ !!!", she reiterated.

"Oh ... hmmm ... I don't know ... maybe $50 ?"

Uhhh ... err ... and counting, my friends ... and counting ...

So, for the record, we won't mention any "learn how to fix this" books that happen to sneak into bed with me. I'm still trying to figure out how many "zeros" I can add to my aforementioned estimate before I find myself sleeping with my trusty book ... IN THE DOGHOUSE!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
Thanks TJ, that was the first one I bought. There are some things in Greenbergs not in my K-Line. I have a 3650 Search Light Extension Car. The reel unit was broken off(another toy I ruined:D) I just got the new part, put am not sure how the electrics were attached. I know one lead goes to the truck, but how about the other? And what grounds what?:confused:

If anyone needs copies of anything, let me know!

Thanks,
Jim

This thread We have covered a lot of ground.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts