Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2056 engine that just doesn't want to run, right.. It does run, light, and smoke, but it has a jerky motion to it, and it seems like it's dry on lube. It's noisy, on and off..It has been serviced professionally, twice, but it still runs poorly with the noise and jerky motion...Any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Is your track clean? I would venture a guess that this is an old engine, and perhaps the wiring might be weak. It's easy enough to open her up and at least visually inspect the connections. How are the roller pickups? How about your track to transformer connections? There are lots and lots of possibilities. You need to go through them one at a time and see if you can improve anything.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your track clean? I would venture a guess that this is an old engine, and perhaps the wiring might be weak. It's easy enough to open her up and at least visually inspect the connections. How are the roller pickups? How about your track to transformer connections? There are lots and lots of possibilities. You need to go through them one at a time and see if you can improve anything.
Track is brand new, it even did the same thing at the shop. Everything was fine inside when I opened it up, rollers were good, powered by a ZW... I may just put it on ebay....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I had a 2037 with a similar problem. It seemed it would lock at certain position in the rotation then release and go. Problem was there after a compete cleaning, lube, overhaul of the motor and the E-unit.

It turned out that one wheel was loose on the axle (press fit failure) That allowed the wheel to move side-to-side and occasionally out of line with the gears. I saw that when turning the loco over in my hand.

I removed the drive rod and wheel and completely cleaned the axle and the wheel's hole with 90% alcohol to remove all traces of grease. Then I glued the wheel to the axle using JB weld. Ran like champ after that. I sold it on eBay (for other reasons) and got a great review from the buyer.

One note: when gluing the wheel to the axle, have the drive rod attached. That will insure that the wheel is installed in the proper rotational position.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The lionel 2056 was made 1 year only "1952" it was the 2046 designated and rubber stamped as 2056 made without magnetraction because of the Korean War. The 2046 cab stamp came back the following year.

Try to run without its running gear if its run fine then the rods need replacing. If it still has problems look on the gear side of motor and also its geared wheel for a chip or broken tooth on any of the gears.

The series of baby hudsons which includes the 2056 are good reliable runners i can attest.
Hopefully yours just has worn side rods or a bad eccentric crank.
The good news is it can be brought back to working properly if fixed by someone that know's what they are doing .
Good luck

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I oiled all the moving points I could think of, and they actually looked a little dry. I put it on the track and ran it about 12 feet and all the noise was/is gone. I guess it needed just that little bit more of oil. Even my wife said it runs alot better with no noise. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Check the idler gears between each driver? Its common on high mileage engines for their bearings to wear and the edge of the gear to rub on the back of the drivers. Not an easy fix as the drivers have to pulled, the bearings driven out and new ones pressed in. Oil might help but only for a short time, just like what happens when the bakelite brush plate starts to wear.

Pete

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a 2056 engine that just doesn't want to run, right.. It does run, light, and smoke, but it has a jerky motion to it, and it seems like it's dry on lube. It's noisy, on and off..It has been serviced professionally, twice, but it still runs poorly with the noise and jerky motion...Any suggestions??
Yes, have it "serviced professionally" by someone else.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,546 Posts
Gears can be funny things. Layered with dry grease to the point they have time to mesh. Also check the side spacing ,The wheels can be jammed together squeezing gears.

You just never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts