Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local train shop said he could convert the tablet smoker to liquid but wanted nearly $100 to do it. I’m new to the hobby but that sounds high to me!
I did a little research and what I’ve read, they say I can use a liquid smoke in the my 2065 engine but it will not hold much.
Suggestions, advice please !
Jim C

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The amount of fluid it holds will not change in a conversion as the heating element is the only thing that changes. I tend to recommend NOT converting a postwar smoke unit as the original heating elements are much more robust and can be used with fluid with great results. Put 10 drop or so in and then top off as necessary when smoke output diminishes.

With the conversion resistors, you need to always keep the unit full of fluid whereas the postwar units can be run dry without much of an issue.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
A local train shop said he could convert the tablet smoker to liquid but wanted nearly $100 to do it. I’m new to the hobby but that sounds high to me!
I did a little research and what I’ve read, they say I can use a liquid smoke in the my 2065 engine but it will not hold much.
Suggestions, advice please !
Jim C
At $100 bucks he's ripping you off, royally!!!:smilie_daumenneg:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use liquid smoke in my 'all original' 2055. IMHO it works better than the 'pills'. So yes I would not change unless there is something wrong with your unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop owner was friendly enough but did not trust him. I needed flat 4 wire to rewire my uncoupled/unload switch and it was 3 bucks a foot when I asked but $4 when I went to pay! Sold me 2 dead bulbs for my 1122 switches. Wanted me to bring in all of my track so he could PROFESSIONALLY clean them. Wanted to sell me cheap switches but wanted my original 1950’s ones as a core. And this was in my first two visit! As convenient as his shop is, I’m done!!
Oh yeah!!!! Thanks for the help in regards to my smoke question!

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The shop owner was friendly enough but did not trust him. I needed flat 4 wire to rewire my uncoupled/unload switch and it was 3 bucks a foot when I asked but $4 when I went to pay! Sold me 2 dead bulbs for my 1122 switches. Wanted me to bring in all of my track so he could PROFESSIONALLY clean them. Wanted to sell me cheap switches but wanted my original 1950’s ones as a core. And this was in my first two visit! As convenient as his shop is, I’m done!!
This guy should have been a used car salesman.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like this guy wanted to make some extra money.
I had a buddy convert 2 post-war units over to liquid, cost me next to nothing.. That shop owner gives everyone a bad name, I mostly do American Flyer, and I service locos as well, FOR NOTHING. Usually I have the necessary parts on hand, and ask for a donation so I can keep doing repairs for people.. I have 4 locos I'm working on now for a facebook friend from Alabama. I only ask for shipping both ways, and a possible donation. I discovered years ago if I was going to stay in the hobby, I'd better learn how to fix these things. Nothing like getting a bill for $45 bucks for a $30 dollar engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought and used some liquid smoke from a different hobby center and did not get the result I was looking for. Very little smoke came out and I used a good dozen drops or so. This was after the train had been running a while. Could it just be that the bowl was dirty from years of use and if so, is there s way to clean it? IF I do need to replace the unit, are there specific smoke unit #’s to look for?
Thanks, Jim

·
Admin
43,481 Posts
I want to get this guy's price list, I'm charging way too little for my services! :p:p

FWIW, you can buy the conversion kit to go to liquid smoke for around $10, maybe less. It's easy to do. OTOH, I agree with the others, don't convert it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts