Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with a 21115 from a large estate sale lot. Engine only, no tender. I know from a little looking that these engines are uncommon. How hard would it be to come up with the tender alone? I am going to try and repair the engine to get it running. Fortunately I have a 21085 waiting to be repaired. I can try to get that one right first before taking on the 21115.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The 21115 was 1958 only and it is the only 5 digit PRR Pacific that Gilbert made. The rarity is 4+. The 21115 has a cab mounted 2 position reverse unit. The correct tender is plastic (not diecast like all other PRR tenders) with a plug for the two wires coming from the engine, it was made for and used only with this one engine. All I can say is good luck.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Good luck finding the correct tender. Only go for the correct tender. Those 5 digit steamers are a
strange animal. Forget what you know about 3 digit steamers. I have 1 five digit steamer and that
was an accident. I bought what was suppose to be a 302. The shell is a 302, the rest is a 5 digit.
It has a live drawbar. Meaning it carries current. The accident loco is no big deal because I only
paid 15.00 for it. Parts are worth that and it runs if you don't hook tender to the engine.
The tender shorts the engine. I need a plastic screw and 2 plastic washers. I have the washers. And might have a plastic screw.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The 21115 does not not have a live drawbar because the reverse unit is in the engine cab. The downside is the cab mounted 2 position units frequently fail and are difficult to impossible repair. The only thing in the plastic tender is a weight and the plug receptacle that accepts the 2 wire plug from the engine.
In my opinion these engines are for display shelf duty only. Try running it on a layout, and watch the engine spontaneously reverse multiple times at speed and derail cars coupled to it. Three fixes, put it on the display shelf, sell it to someone else, or abandon the reverse unit, run five wires to the tender and install a four position electronic reverse unit.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I bet the engineers for Gilbert for the 5 digit steamers are different than the engineers of the
3 digit ones. They had to change something to show value for their jobs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the guidance. I ended up with a 21085, 21115 and a 5 digit Atlantic. At least the 5 digit Atlantic already works. My hope is to get enough working parts to have a running 21115 and leave the rest to parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts