Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations, T-man. It came out very nicely.

My junk box has at least half a dozen Lionel 1666 steam chests with the "cow catcher" front end missing. Each broken steam chest was replaced with a good used one, sometimes found attached to something else that now sits in the junk box (you know how that goes, I think). Anyway, I have attempted to mold a replacement cow catcher to affix to the steam box but have never been successful. Based on your experience and good results, do you think such an endeavor is practical?

Thanks, swede

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congratulations, T-man. It came out very nicely.

My junk box has at least half a dozen Lionel 1666 steam chests with the "cow catcher" front end missing. Each broken steam chest was replaced with a good used one, sometimes found attached to something else that now sits in the junk box (you know how that goes, I think). Anyway, I have attempted to mold a replacement cow catcher to affix to the steam box but have never been successful. Based on your experience and good results, do you think such an endeavor is practical?

Thanks, swede
I used something called Instant Mold (for the mold) and FixIt for the epoxy. It worked very well for me, especially making a ladder for a 238E. It was oddly painless.

Here is my old link:

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=176760

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I have at least two broken steamchest as you described. I used normal plaster. It had some trouble between the ribs. It would work better on a modern cow catcher.

I use the larger JB Weld tube from auto supply stores. I have found this stuff to be extremely strong. Much better than the smaller tubes from department stores.

You may want to try a wire frame because support will be needed. The contact point is slim.

Instant mold appears to be a good product. Where is it sold?

I did a ladder repair before I like the instant mold result.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SoShoresGuy, thanks for the response. Your sad story was sad. I echo TJ's comments.

The Instant Mold material looked very interesting but it doesn't look like it is available anywhere. I also looked for a product called Blue Stuff but only found it available shipped from Europe.

swede

·
Registered
275 Posts
T-man, I tried plaster, also, but issues with the foot steps and the narrow ribbing (?) on the front caused me grief.

I'd like to try something like Instant Mold.

swede

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I must have purchased the last of the Instant Mold. I have a few bars left if you want them. This stuff looks very similar, you just heat it up with hot water. Make sure you get more than you need.
https://uedata.amazon.com/Reusable-Making-Water-package-Clear/dp/B07M9XS3FX/ref=pd_sbs_79_t_0/140-9252696-5923426?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07M9XS3FX&pd_rd_r=b53e0012-1240-449e-8eb4-09468915dc80&pd_rd_w=c7xRK&pd_rd_wg=YwbjP&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=C92QKSN7W6QRCBR5WJVD&psc=1&refRID=C92QKSN7W6QRCBR5WJVD

The FixIt epoxy was very strong and also easy to work with wax shaping tools before it set and also handled hard stuff like files and course sandpaper after it hardened. It is a two part clay substance, not liquid. It also survived a drop from about 5' :eek:hwell:

IHTH

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
The EPOXY MAN lives. :D
Looks good.:thumbsup:

I like your custom clamp. :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe too easy but, as the old adage goes, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". Who knows what trouble he could get into.:):):)

swede

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent modelling.

My eBay 249 E had a replacement pilot/cowcatcher. A MTH stamped reproduction from train Tender for $7.50 - Part 260E-45
Really? Jeff has the part! That is good to know.

This is an extra frame so I did some mold and epoxy. I had to take apart my 249e to mold the front. I should put it back together soon. Currently I am gearing up to work on some 800 series cars. The 249e is the ideal engine to pull them.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Really? Jeff has the part! That is good to know.

This is an extra frame so I did some mold and epoxy. I had to take apart my 249e to mold the front. I should put it back together soon. Currently I am gearing up to work on some 800 series cars. The 249e is the ideal engine to pull them.
When I get to it, my 249e will be paired with six 610/612 passenger cars. Three early versions and 3 later versions.

Lots of projects before that ... like the layout build in progress :eek:hwell:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The EPOXY MAN lives. :D
Looks good.:thumbsup:

I like your custom clamp. :):thumbsup:

Well Ed I had to lift the elastic to keep it away from the epoxy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In post #6 of this thread, SoShoresGuy referenced a thread he submitted (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=176760) about the use of a molding material he had purchased.

The attached photos indicate the material I used to repair the "cow catcher" on a 1666 steam chest as well as the before, in-progress and finished product.

Thank you, SoShoresGuy and T-Man.

#1 Material Used, #2 Original Piece, #3 Original Piece & Mold, #4 Original Piece, Mold, Molded Piece (JB Weld), #5 Molded Piece In Place (JB Weld), #6 Bottom View Molded Piece In Place (JB Weld), #7 Original on Left, Repair on Right

swede

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts