Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in experimenting with a 27 ohm resistor for there american flyer smoke unit. I have a couple extras.

John

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my 322's has the wick under the resistor and the resistor rests on the wick. On the bench I have wrapped the resistor. I just started doing it different ways.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am interested. I thought of trying the same thing with the conversion resistor that you use for changing a Lionel pill type smoke unit to a liquid type.

·
Admin
43,510 Posts
If you need open-wire resistors of most any value, they're easy to find. I buy these square 5W resistors and simply crack the outside ceramic shell in a vice, out pops a perfect smoke resistor.

5W Square Resistors At Digikey, 20-27 ohms

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank for the replies guys. Reason I asked is I inherited an assortment Ohmite of resisters ranging 10 Ohms to 10 MOhm...and 1 that is 30 Ohms. Think I may have to try it. Also have a spool of thin Ni-chrome wire but found wrapping the wick pretty tedious the one time trying it - unit smokes so it was a success, just not a lot.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Broke
I did not use the provided wick.
Thanks! I need to get motivated but for some reason I am bobbing around in the Doldrums! (Old nautical saying, I lived on my sailboat in San Francisco Bay for five years. And I do miss it! Although not much room for a layout.:laugh:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have installed three resistors so far and they seem to work great. It is a learning curve and I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I need a photo of the wick and the resistor. How is put together.

Glad to see your northern chassis running Broke. You are as slow as I am getting these beasts back together.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I need a photo of the wick and the resistor. How is put together.

Glad to see your northern chassis running Broke. You are as slow as I am getting these beasts back together.
Just use the wick wrapped around the 27 ohm wire wound resistor and the tails are in the reservoir. It couldn't be easier once the boiler is apart. Good luck Mopac! I remains to be seen as to how long it will last however.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have to try this. I just ordered 10 lionel 27 ohm resistors for liquid smoke units.
27 ohms should put out good smoke. I guess we will see how long they last. I am
sure I paid a bit more because they are lionel but I know they will work. I have 2 feet of new wick.
Should do 2 smoke units. I like to pack lower reservoir. Going to do my old 282 first. It smokes
but could be better. I hand wound the wick in it my self. My 282 is my test engine for many things.

Broke, your 336 is smoking great. Hoping for similar results with my 282.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Keep plenty of smoke fluid in it. I am hoping for 5 years with normal amount of running.
I don't run my trains that much. If I ever get a normal layout that could change.

I need to get an AF funnel. The eyedropper puts about half the smoke fluid running down
outside of smoke tube. What a waste. And messy.

I am a recent diabetic. So I sometimes use my syringes to put smoke fluid in smoke tube. It does get 100%
of smoke fluid down tube. But my needles are so small the smoke fluid gels and blocks off the needles.
I have to clean the needles with alcohol after smoke fluid then needles stay open.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts