Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
My childhood locomotive is a 290 and it is also in non running condition. I am about to begin building a two level layout with O gauge on the bottom and S gauge on the top and hope to get the old girl cleaned up and running again. I also have a handful of 300's that I bought at auctions and plan to learn on. But I am envious at how beautiful this 290 looks. It bring s back very fond memories.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
My childhood locomotive is a 290 and it is also in non running condition. I am about to begin building a two level layout with O gauge on the bottom and S gauge on the top and hope to get the old girl cleaned up and running again. I also have a handful of 300's that I bought at auctions and plan to learn on. But I am envious at how beautiful this 290 looks. It bring s back very fond memories.
In all honesty, it was a good-looking gal when I got it from Al, so I can't take any credit for that..If I can offer any help, be glad to help....I do cheap repairs for the good folks here who are also friends..Loren

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts
I like your wall of trains too.(y)
Why the elevated loop in the front?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up. I am eager to finish my train room and get this layout underway. Having that old 290 running would be the icing on the cake.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts
You're looking at Al's pictures, not mine,lol!!!
I know, I was commenting on his wall?
Your wall sucks with a hole and a Miller box mounted on it. :p

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up. I am eager to finish my train room and get this layout underway. Having that old 290 running would be the icing on the cake.
Send it out, if it's not missing major parts, or have any broken parts it should be a easy fix, usually I turn an engine around in 2 days. If I get it on Friday, it's usually done and in the mail by Monday..Shipping both ways is the only cost, if I have to buy something unusual I don't have in my parts drawers such as a chassis, boiler/tender shell, or front leading trucks, etc, I have to charge you what I paid for it.A donation is always welcome so I can continue to offer this service for my buddies here, whether it be $1 dollar or whatever.. If you can't donate, that's ok by me too, just like to help out..Loren.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I know, I was commenting on his wall?
Your wall sucks with a hole and a Miller box mounted on it. :p
Yep, I got confused with another post, and I know my wall sucks, along with my dusty layout. And that Miller box didn't stop the bat from coming in one night .Guess he was lonely...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,716 Posts
Yep, I got confused with another post, and I know my wall sucks, along with my dusty layout. And that Miller box didn't stop the bat from coming in one night .Guess he was lonely...
Loren knows I was only busting on him........I think.

Yeah a Budweiser or Coors box would be better. :D
I never liked Miller, ha ha ha.
Screen off that pipe with a metal screen?
I have a fireplace in the family room with one of those inserts with a fan box.
I have it closed off as I don't use it much, one night I heard what sounded like a recycle truck picking up cans.
What I later found months later was a dead black bird in it. All there is is a vent pipe going up to the roof line. Some how it fell in the pipe and could not get out.
I added some heavy screen around the inlet, took a quick shot, you can't really see the screen in the picture but the black spot you see up there all 4 sides I screened in.
That stopped them from getting in. The only thing going up is a pipe with that cover over the top. All the rest is wood to make it look like a fireplace chimney.

Layout Dusty?
Mine is the same, but I also battle spiders trying to enclose my layout into a giant web.
I did get down in the dungeon the other night, might get down there today some too, while the storm roars by.

Got my mower part in, got to fix that first.

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Loren knows I was only busting on him........I think.

Yeah a Budweiser or Coors box would be better. :D
I never liked Miller, ha ha ha.
Screen off that pipe with a metal screen?
I have a fireplace in the family room with one of those inserts with a fan box.
I have it closed off as I don't use it much, one night I heard what sounded like a recycle truck picking up cans.
What I later found months later was a dead black bird in it. All there is is a vent pipe going up to the roof line. Some how it fell in the pipe and could not get out.
I added some heavy screen around the inlet, took a quick shot, you can't really see the screen in the picture but the black spot you see up there all 4 sides I screened in.
That stopped them from getting in. The only thing going up is a pipe with that cover over the top. All the rest is wood to make it look like a fireplace chimney.
View attachment 545707

Layout Dusty?
Mine is the same, but I also battle spiders trying to enclose my layout into a giant web.
I did get down in the dungeon the other night, might get down there today some too, while the storm roars by.

Got my mower part in, got to fix that first.
We're good buddy.I pulled the cinder block chimney down that was outside of the house, and cemented over the remnants.. All's good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts