Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While back my rear trail truck came apart . i learned that the trail truck was the wrong one so i got the the right one ever since then it will not stay on track especially on curve. Tonight i was looking for more info i found another diagram with a different rear trail bar the one isaw looks like the one on a 322 hudson the one on there is the one in the kline book.
So which is right. Any info would be greatful. Thanks Al

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
All 290’s have the one piece trailing truck and drawbar assembly with a metal tender. Looks like this.
ABE56591-ABCB-4D5A-9413-90F7E38B7EAD.jpeg

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thats the exact one i have. Now ifi can just figure why it doesnt stay on track mostly on corner. When i had the wrong one in it worked fine until the rivit broke.. Stumped keep trying. Thanks

Al

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I would say look closely at the attachment of the drawbar to the tender. all the parts and spacers must be correct and in good condition. The attachment must be tight with minimal play. The trailing truck wheel gauge must be correct but I have never seen one out of gauge. With the Gilbert design I would expect the front tender truck to derail before the engine trailing truck would derail.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are right iam looking at the front wheels of tender it doesnt sit right seems the truck frame is not square if u understand what i mean thas the only way i can describe it. Thanks

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say look closely at the attachment of the drawbar to the tender. all the parts and spacers must be correct and in good condition. The attachment must be tight with minimal play. The trailing truck wheel gauge must be correct but I have never seen one out of gauge. With the Gilbert design I would expect the front tender truck to derail before the engine trailing truck would derail.
Here is a photo underneath. If you see any thing please let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Hard to tell with just the one view of the connection but as a minimum part #62, the insulating bushing appears to be missing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe its there i odered the kit from the kline book does the wheels look funny to you . or is it just me

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I cannot tell, but something looks different from the 290 I posted. Just looked for the engine but could not locate it after a quick look. I will post more pictures if I find it later. A lot of AF trains stored in a lot of crates to look through.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought i fixed it ran it slow as soon as it came to a curve started to come off i took pictures of it in the position .here r photos
20200719_153253.jpg
20200719_153352.jpg
20200719_154352.jpg
20200719_154322_Burst01.jpg
20200719_154413.jpg

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
It looks like the drawbar is not freely rotating at the attachment point to the engine. Look closely at the picture I posted. Note right behind the driver the drawbar is free to move vertically almost 1/4" and can rotated horizontally without any friction on the long shouldered screw.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It looks like the drawbar is not freely rotating at the attachment point to the engine. Look closely at the picture I posted. Note right behind the driver the drawbar is free to move vertically almost 1/4" and can rotated horizontally without any friction on the long shouldered screw.
Here r photos of it stands straight on track tried to run wont run starts to run then stop getting frustrated so iam puttingxit aside for know have plenty of steamers to run . if i cant get it to run i might send it out. Thankyou for your help.

Al

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at your photo and mine. Mine looks higher were the number 290. And tender seems further back. Let me give a brief history on this 290 i bought just the engine no tender. So i went threw the engine . bought a tender on ebay went threw that it is supposed to for a 290. Thats it. Thanks

Al

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Looking at your latest pictures and the picture of my engine it is apparent the trailing truck on your engine sits further back under the engine cab than the one on mine. That by itself should not be a problem but it caused me to research further the part numbers in the Factory Service manual. It turns out there are two different version of the front tender truck, yolk and drawbar assembly parts used on the 290's. They appear to not be interchangeable unless all three pieces are used together. One appears to be an early design that was obsoleted with a newer design that was also used on the 285 and 295 engines.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only book i have is the k line can you tell me were the factory sevice manuel thankyou for your help gratefully appreciated it. Thanks. Ps never mined i found the service manuel. I see what your saying .

Al

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Does the front truck turn freely?? I would also shorten that wire harness, it could be de-railing the tender.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts