Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok do what you think is the best wow can you explain what you mean about wheel spacing on chasie. Also is that enough money in the enverlope by looking at didnt think it was that bad i was to ask you to point what is wrong thats the only way i will learn. Thanks

Al

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And to confirm your engine is the problem, I test ran the tender with one of my test mules, a 302AC, and it's fine, at all speeds, and in both forward and backwards.
Do what you think is best . put the link coupler on starting to like them . when i buy cars our engines etc etc if it comes wit link i leave them unless there brokeing.
Thanks al

Thanks

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Do what you think is best . put the link coupler on starting to like them . when i buy cars our engines etc etc if it comes wit link i leave them unless there brokeing.
Thanks al

Thanks
I'll put a new link coupler on with a new pin. I worked on the tender.. I pulled all the wheels off and polished the metal wheels, and I also polished the copper pick-up strips. I checked the wheel spacing and they're correct. I also removed your wiring harness as it was fraying very badly and I put on one of my harnesses. I also removed the drum and polished it, very lightly oiled the drum axles, and adjusted the brass pawl that turns the drum. Seems to work pretty darn good!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I tried adjusting the brass pawl dont quite understand what iam doing if the pawl arm is facing me do i go up and down our left to right. Thankyou i always said its the little things some one like u know what to do other people will fix it not as good it the small things that make a big difference. Thankyou didnt think it was that bad know i no what to look for more .

Al

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I pulled the wheels from the chassis and here's what I found...There are many variations of wheels in Gilbert steam engines but we're just going to deal with the ones on this 290. The front rims measure 1.16..The wheels that had the tires glued on measured 1.21....That's a difference of .005 on the flange. This, I believe, was why the wheels would not hold a curve, not enough flange to grip the inside of the curve.
001.JPG

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Great picture. The .005 on the flange is less than an NMRA standard S scale wheelset used on code 70 rail. No wonder it derails. Plus the traction bands are not straight on the metal tires, this will cause the engine to wobble as well. I especially like the solder splat in front of the screwdriver handle.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
290s did not come with pullmor wheels. Marty's Trains sells those added on traction tires. I almost bit.
I did suspect it would take away from the flange and I passed.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I believe there are rims that have been hogged out to accept rubber tires and still maintain the correct flange dimension.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok thanks. Thanks again therec is no hurry. I just bought a 302 its ths 1948 shell is cast. Bought it at the hobby shop the one with all the trains lionel ives marx american flyer he has a switcher in the case i think its a o 8 o not sure wants 280. Think it to high its been thete for years. He also has 314 but it wants to sell it as a set.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I was watching on you tube there are some come wit a groove in the middle to accept the pul mor.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
I thought something was odd looking the way the locomotive wheels derailed.
But I never had an Flyer locomotives beside my one diesel I have.
Dr Flyernut will fix her up. :)(y)
A.......you better click that like button. ;)

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
The repaired wheels/rims were put together crooked, so I broke down the sets and repaired them. I also de-greased the chassis. The smoke unit had a broken red smoke-stack in it so I removed it and replaced it with the correct brass one.This is what happens when you try and remove the chassis from the boiler without FIRST removing the smoke stack tube, whether it be brass or plastic.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Lesson learned. Maybe a good thing is was a plastic tube. The brass tube does not break, it just
destroys the top gasket.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
flyernut, you took that puppy all the way down. Good job. She will purr like a kitten when you are done.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts