Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Al, I bought a nice 0-8-0 switcher a few months ago off ebay. I got a deal. Paid 140.00 something plus shipping. I have not serviced it yet. Too many engines ahead of it. I am no where as quick as flyernut. I will see if I can find a pic of it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Very nice ill go back and ck it out for sure if it is like yours 250. Or better to much. Thanks
Al

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nice Mopac. That is the 1952 only version with red glowing smoke, 5 wire connection and the long 3 spring tender trucks for trouble fee performance over the 90deg crossings and through turnouts. These are great runners and the best of the link coupler 0-8-0's.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Thanks Tom. I think it s a nice steamer. Yep, 607.

Al, if that switcher at the shop is a 343, they bring more money than a 342. It should have a knuckle coupler on front and rear if a 343. He has had it awhile, so not worth 280.00. Stick to your guns and don't go over 200.00 what ever the number. I think they made a DC only switcher. I don't know anything about that. Tom can tell you.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes, there were DC motored 342's made in 1947 and 1949. Switchers stamped with the number 342DC were made in 1949, 50 & 51.
If you are buying a 343 make sure it is a 1953 or 1954 with the reverse unit in the tender. The 1955, 56 & 57 343's had a reverse unit in the engine cab covered with a plastic curtain (that may be missing.) These reverse units are all unreliable and almost impossible to repair. You will end up with a display shelf item unless you ultimately rewire it to put an electronic unit in the tender. Same goes for a 346 but they sell for twice the price of a 343.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ok guys thankyou i will i will send him a e mail known him for awhile new his farther when he wad alive he started the busines. Shop been there about 60 years.

Al

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Well, here's the story on Al's 290. I finished it up around 6:00pm, and everything runs great, smokes like the dickens, and the e-unit functions as it should.Now to take it off the test bench and run it on the lay-out... Not so good.. Remember, it ain't fixed/running 100% if it doesn't run on the lay-out... No more de-railments, that's ok.. However the front leading truck on the loco was repaired at one time, and was de-railing quite bad. Now my lay-out has various ups and downs and sometimes I can attribute that problem to run-ability.I switched out the leading truck with a spare I had on hand, and that seemed to cure that problem.Ran it some more and had a problem with the e-unit losing electrical contact with the rails, so back to work on the tender..What I found on the tender, and I did notice it before hand, was the truck was somewhat stiff on the chassis, and there was absolutely no play what-so-ever in the truck.I put one of my test mule tenders on the engine and ran it for approx. 100 feet and the combo ran flawlessly, now back to the tender.. I got a spare tender chassis and broke down Al's tender. I put in a new rivet and bushing on the front truck and that did nothing but make it stiffer. I again removed it and using my digital calipers, I measured the mounting surface on the truck. There was a difference of .003" between Al's truck and a spare I had. It appears the tender Al bought was re-painted, everywhere, and a build-up of paint was causing the problem. Just in case, I got a spare chassis and mounted different 3 spring trucks to it, and now the trucks have ample movement, both left and right and up and down..This hopefully will solve the problem of the trucks/contacts losing electrical contact with the rails.I'll mess with it more tomorrow as I'm done with trains for the night,lol

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Here we go about Al's 290. I got the engine running a little faster than what it was when it first got here. I did all the normal servicing including brushes and springs,(one brush was vert short compared to the other, and 1 spring was bad-ish. New/used front leading truck, new/used brass smoke stack,all new /repaired drivers, new/used main drive rods, new head-light,new wiring harness as the one that was on there was fraying very badly, re-faced armature, and replaced the missing oil wick in the brush bracket assembly, polished the drum, and did a general clean-up on the e--unit.On the tender a new/used chassis, new bushings and rivet, different front truck from my parts bin, and new bushing, washer, and rivet for the draw-bar. New link coupler and pin..Here's the results....ran the engine/tender combo approx 960', through 120 curves with no de-railments, that includes left turns and right turns..I know Al will like it....Al, let me know what you think about the 290 when you get it and run it.....I'll mail it out tomorrow...Loren

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thankyou was that enough what i gave you. You went all out i would of never figured all of that . the different size tires chassie. Etc . cannot thankyou enough iam sure i will love . once again thanks ypu r the best.

Al

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Here we go about Al's 290. I got the engine running a little faster than what it was when it first got here. I did all the normal servicing including brushes and springs,(one brush was vert short compared to the other, and 1 spring was bad-ish. New/used front leading truck, new/used brass smoke stack,all new /repaired drivers, new/used main drive rods, new head-light,new wiring harness as the one that was on there was fraying very badly, re-faced armature, and replaced the missing oil wick in the brush bracket assembly, polished the drum, and did a general clean-up on the e--unit.On the tender a new/used chassis, new bushings and rivet, different front truck from my parts bin, and new bushing, washer, and rivet for the draw-bar. New link coupler and pin..Here's the results....ran the engine/tender combo approx 960', through 120 curves with no de-railments, that includes left turns and right turns..I know Al will like it....Al, let me know what you think about the 290 when you get it and run it.....I'll mail it out tomorrow...Loren
Thankyou was that enough what i gave you. You went all out i would of never figured all of that . the different size tires chassie. Etc . cannot thankyou enough iam sure i will love . once again thanks ypu r the best.

Al
Not a problem Al, expect most of the cash you sent to be returned to you.I'm thinking I'll keep $30 bucks for pizza and wings, plus approx $10 bucks for postage. I'll send the rest back..Loren

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks but all the work you did should of kepted it all. Thanks again your really great person. Glad i joined this forum ck others out. This one nobuddy bashes each other always helping. Joking around is fine.

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts

Not a problem Al, expect most of the cash you sent to be returned to you.I'm thinking I'll keep $30 bucks for pizza and wings, plus approx $10 bucks for postage. I'll send the rest back..Loren
Flyernut, you never cease to amaze. You should know I started a file on your repairs and opinions of what causes what. I have all 3 of the AF repair manuals and they are quite handy. While they cover a lot, you sir, fill in the blanks on day to day repairs not in any of those books. When I encounter a problem and can't reason it out, I will reach for my file and see if you have covered it in the past and posted your findings and fix. Thanks so much.

Kenny

·
Registered
715 Posts
Man, who knew you needed a micrometer to keep these running. :)
Thank goodness I have a tool box drawer full of digital mikes and calipers from my race engine building days. I can't count the times I have used one of my mikes and a caliper. Time savers for determining out of tolerances that would have gone unnoticed and would still have been a problem and therefore would require another attempt at repair thus more wasted time.

Kenny

61 - 80 of 95 Posts