Model Train Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Flyernut, you never cease to amaze. You should know I started a file on your repairs and opinions of what causes what. I have all 3 of the AF repair manuals and they are quite handy. While they cover a lot, you sir, fill in the blanks on day to day repairs not in any of those books. When I encounter a problem and can't reason it out, I will reach for my file and see if you have covered it in the past and posted your findings and fix. Thanks so much.

Kenny
Thank you ever so much for those kind words. Book are great, but everyday experience's are even better.Most of the problems I see are problems that I have seen before or have created myself .Way back I asked a pro to replace my plain wheels with original pul-mor wheels/tires on my 302.When I got the engine home, it had a "rake" on it and wouldn't stay on the tracks. The wheels were too large. I had the"pro" put the original/wheel sets back on, and everything was fine.So much for the "pro", he should have known better. I started fixing my own stuff soon after.. Write your own book with some of the tips you learn, just drop my name as a "friend" who steered you to the fix,lol!!..Again, thanks for the kind words, alot of you guys here on the forum know as much or more than I'll ever know, you just don't know it,lol!!

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Al, inside the box is a envelope with your old parts and the cash.I forgot to mention, you are indeed one heck of a packer!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thankyou i have come along way before i would never take it apart. But know not afraid watching videos talking to you guys its the little things that the books dont have. Thats when people like you and others been fixing there own for years . it harder to find someone to send for repairs had one bad experience already cost me alot wasnt really worth it but lesson learned. Just keep trying and picking your brian and everay one else. Thanks again.

Al

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thankyou i have come along way before i would never take it apart. But know not afraid watching videos talking to you guys its the little things that the books dont have. Thats when people like you and others been fixing there own for years . it harder to find someone to send for repairs had one bad experience already cost me alot wasnt really worth it but lesson learned. Just keep trying and picking your brian and everay one else. Thanks again.

Al

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
So the chassie on tender was it bent or a small twist or to much paint. Was the problem.

Al
The chassis was straight, I believe with the paint on the chassis, and the paint on the truck, it increased the thickness of the metal. I thought at first it could have been a diesel insulating truck washer as they seem to be a bit thicker, so I used a insulating washer I had on hand and tried riveting the truck back on, but was unsuccessful.. It was even tighter.. It was very frustrating as the rear truck was fine!!. It could have been the truck itself, but I was running out of options so I changed the chassis.I put on 3 spring trucks as that's what you had on the tender you sent.They are a little longer and will navigate 90 degree crossings and such better than 2 spring trucks.Forgot to mention, when I was assembling the chassis to the engine, the head-light lens fell out.. Another crazy little problem,lol! I glued it back in.. You should be able to run this engine for another 70 years with no issues..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
These r things i would of never thought to ck. Thanks this week i will write everything you did so if i come across something like this again i will look for these things.

Al

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
These r things i would of never thought to ck. Thanks this week i will write everything you did so if i come across something like this again i will look for these things.

Al
Your engine is on it's way..Tracking # is...9505515183510209221174..enjoy. Let me know if there's anything you don't like about it, I'll make it good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I know iam working at my other job those noghts so it will be late when i try it. But i will show pictures.

Al

81 - 95 of 95 Posts