Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back with a mission.
My friend Matt gave me seven kits to assemble. They are from Oregon Rail.

I have been thinking of how to wire them. For now I will wire the leads separate and feed 6 wires through the tube. I need to test the wire for a fit first. These can be used for a lot of neat things. For now I will go with green and a red yellow to light on track direction directly.

If you have some ideas or informtion please posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I've wired a few of these types they can be a pain.
One way to reduce the wire count is to go with a common ground or common hot, that will eliminate 2 wires. I also have wire that is as thin as a hair and has Teflon insulation. Another type if wire is for motor windings and has "paint"(name slips mind) Insulation.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Yea I do the epoxy block too!
If you don't have a path up to the lights, I've use a small peice of brass pipe for the conduit to the lights.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ohhh epoxy, but not yet.

The pole is a 3/32nd brass tube and the 6 #30 wires fit.

The rest of the kit with the very little/fancy LEDs.

The 1.8 mm,3 mm, and 5 mm LEDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Looks Excellent!
I'm working on getting my work table done today then I can get busy with some projects I've got in the works. Fred light, and crossing signal flasher circuit are first on the list.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wires

The first step is attaching the wires. I used a clip from the no hands stand but it is too large. The LED go out and landed three feet away after a good search. SO I go a smaller jewelry clip which is is about the size of the Radio Shack small banana clips. Shown is the first light completed .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
It takes nerves of steel for the tiny stuff! and a eagle eye when you drop something!!;)
Another trick I have found that works great is sticking the part in modeling clay to hold it, it also acts as a heat sink.:D

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It takes nerves of steel for the tiny stuff! and a eagle eye when you drop something!!;)
Another trick I have found that works great is sticking the part in modeling clay to hold it, it also acts as a heat sink.:D
Thats a great idea NIMT. I think I shall go buy some right now.:laugh:
but in all seriousness it is a good idea for soldering things.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lost the green LED. It must of overheated.

Next I fitted the other two in, but first I sliced the frame to help with the fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Done put too much juice to the green one did you?:eek:
I've got a whole bag of those, that I've poofed!:D
What size resistors did they give you for them?
What voltage do you have them running on?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It never made it pass the solder.
I use a 3 volt battery to check. The green will get a 470 and 1000 for the yelow and red ,they will run off track power.
I take may time. There are still six others left.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I've had the same problem, Heat is always a problem with the little tiny buggers! One more thing that might help is too clamp your clip across the leads when you solder. I know they are a real pain in the A**! Try the clay idea I've had great luck with it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did a little research on the small LEDs. They are T 3/4 or 1.8mm in size. The 1.8 mm was better for ebay searches. The companies I looked at had then for 3 bucks apiece. Ebay has assortments for 20 bucks you can get a lifetime supply of 5 colors, 100 total for 20 cents apiece. Even 14 cents. They are listed in N scale other. I noticed in general a decrease in prices for large lots in other sizes. Brighter LEDs are coming into the market so these are being discounted. You don't always want super bright ones so these are a good deal.

Aside, from the super small ones Anton has these are small.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wired up more lights, all work so far. I also discovered that some are two light kits number 114. AAfter testing I color coded the wires for polarity and color. Some progress anyway.

The little clip works fine. I place the LED in the center, clip the leads to half size. Cut a 12 inch number 30 wire and clean the lacquer with an Exacto knife against a hard surface, and solder. It's a good test for depth perception, trust me.:)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It doesn't have to be N. Just go to Ebay for the lights. I was thinking of using them as marker lights on some plastic shells.

I think the LEDs came down in price. Worth a look.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts