Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Bachmann (Spectrum) 3 truck Shay that is causing some concern.

My layout is DC.
Have other loco's that are DCC/Sound fitted and no issues with them
The loco is fitted with DCC & Sound.
Loco is imaculate abet 2nd hand.
When it runs all the drive shafts rotate etc.

Problem:
It runs very slowly as it should, but only under full power.
Put a very light flat car behind it and it wont pull it and sits there wheel spinning.
Will not go up any grades at all, again gets to the grade and sits there
wheel spinning.

Question:
Do these loco's have to have "traction tyers" fitted.
Checked the wheels and there is no lip on any of them like other loco's I have that have traction tyres fitted.

Any idea's please, OH wise and knowlegable members of this hallowed forum.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
They didn't come with any and should pull a 5 car train easily up a 1.75% grade like mine...

...there may be some oil on the treads--or--they've had drive shaft problems i the past, enough that NWSL made a shaft kit. They could be slipping in the sockets under load.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oldfarticus-- are you running the engine on the wrong side of the track? Like driving a car in Oz? Pete
Bugga, another comedian.
Spose every forum has to have at least a dozen or so.

And no I wont be drawn into this one (TIC)

Tar Mate.
BTW: Its Gerriatricus Oldfarticus to you.

Best regards

Alan........
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They didn't come with any and should pull a 5 car train easily up a 1.75% grade like mine...
...there may be some oil on the treads--or--they've had drive shaft problems i the past, enough that NWSL made a shaft kit. They could be slipping in the sockets under load.
Yes have seen video's etc of them pulling loaded etc, but my"n nar.

Will check out what you have advised and get back to you.

BTW:
THANK YOU everyone who has replied thus far.
Very much appreciated. :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
These don't by chance have traction tire on the drivers? Are they present or missing? Just a thought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These don't by chance have traction tire on the drivers? Are they present or missing? Just a thought.
Thats one of the original questions I asked in my original posts,

"shaygetz" already replied earlier.
no they dont mate...

Thanks for your reply anyway......

Alan

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Option 1: Very carefully check all the gears they are notorious for breaking the side gears and one bad gear will slow them way down.

Option 2: In some rare occasions the decoder is been programed to limit the running top speed or other settings on a DC layout. DO all the sounds sound right, you say that it take full throttle for it to move...what is the track voltage a full throttle? Some DC transformers only put out 12volts but the DCC settings for the shay might be looking for 18volts as a full throttle voltage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another thing to possibly check - put a section of track on a perfectly flay surface, set the engine on it and make sure all the drivers are touching the rail.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just last week I had the very same problem, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, I found that the small gears on the trucks split and come off the spline, I sent an Email to Bachmann and they told me that they did not have any trucks in stock and do not know when they would ever get them in again, so I thought that I would scrap the loco, then I got an idea to go on the net and see if I could get a couple of trucks. What I did find was that this is a very common problem with the Shay, all over the net I see people having the same problem, and by chance I came across NorthWest Short Line who make Metal gears to replace the plastic ones, so I got on to Walthers and ordered a set. Walthers number 53-28006 so now I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Bachmann parts (Front Truck)
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=206

Attachments

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Bugga, another comedian.
Spose every forum has to have at least a dozen or so.

And no I wont be drawn into this one (TIC)

Tar Mate.
BTW: Its Gerriatricus Oldfarticus to you.

Best regards

Alan........
:thumbsup:
OK! Gerriatricus Oldfarticus SIR!
Sorry Allen I just couldn't resist the temptation. Besides I wanted you to get initiated into the forum asap so you can handle it. We have way more than a dozen comedians here.
So did you find a split gear on the Shay? I've never had a Shay but from what the others are saying the gear problem seems pretty common.
The reason I asked about what you clean the track with is that some alcohols have a light oil base to them. On the tracks it can make things slip. Denatured alcohol will eliminate that problem if it is a problem.
Cheers! Pete

·
Registered
133 Posts
Methylated spirits "is" denatured alcohol. It's another one of those “England & America are two countries divided by a common language.” things (sorry Mr. Oldfarticus, Sir. I know you're Aussie, but the saying applies!) Kind of like his "tyres" in the original post. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing to possibly check - put a section of track on a perfectly flay surface, set the engine on it and make sure all the drivers are touching the rail.
Did this but used a mirror that way easier to see both sides of the truck at the same time and perfectly flat..

An old "Hecowie" Indian trick I was taught many years ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Methylated spirits "is" denatured alcohol. It's another one of those “England & America are two countries divided by a common language.” things (sorry Mr. Oldfarticus, Sir. I know you're Aussie, but the saying applies!) Kind of like his "tyres" in the original post. :)
Well said Sir,

I have to remind myself, now am I on an UK Forum or a USA Forum and adjust my "speak" accordingly.

After 40 odd years in the ADF (Auzzie Defence force), I have worked with serving members from both countries and have been educated in "there & your ways.

But at the end of the day there is only "real" language......

Tar cobber...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just last week I had the very same problem, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, I found that the small gears on the trucks split and come off the spline, I sent an Email to Bachmann and they told me that they did not have any trucks in stock and do not know when they would ever get them in again, so I thought that I would scrap the loco, then I got an idea to go on the net and see if I could get a couple of trucks. What I did find was that this is a very common problem with the Shay, all over the net I see people having the same problem, and by chance I came across NorthWest Short Line who make Metal gears to replace the plastic ones, so I got on to Walthers and ordered a set. Walthers number 53-28006 so now I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Bachmann parts (Front Truck)
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=206
Ah Bugga
Off to grovel and crawl to the Minister for Finance for procurement approval.

But at $ 15.00 US (ea), shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Comedians eh? well....I hope you all arn't about to turn my train into a circus train.....oh wait it already is a circus around here....never mind that...now to figure out why I keep finding hobos in my trains.....and use some hobo-away hobo spray....

OK! Gerriatricus Oldfarticus SIR!
Sorry Allen I just couldn't resist the temptation. Besides I wanted you to get initiated into the forum asap so you can handle it. We have way more than a dozen comedians here.
So did you find a split gear on the Shay? I've never had a Shay but from what the others are saying the gear problem seems pretty common.
The reason I asked about what you clean the track with is that some alcohols have a light oil base to them. On the tracks it can make things slip. Denatured alcohol will eliminate that problem if it is a problem.
Cheers! Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Oldfarticus-- are you running the engine on the wrong side of the track? Like driving a car in Oz? Pete
Hey steady on there cobba, we do drive on the "right" side of the road.

http://youtu.be/zt0a3qU43T8. and a brand spanking new video to prove it..

Good to see the comedians of this forum coming out of the closet.

And it's good to see.

Take care my all.......

·
Registered
216 Posts
HI new3801,

Ah Bugga
Off to grovel and crawl to the Minister for Finance for procurement approval.

But at $ 15.00 US (ea), shouldnt be an issue.

It is when they don't have them in stock and don't know when they will have them in again, so no need to see the Minister for Finance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.