Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I have to ask….the thread title says 3,000 gal tank car, but that looks considerably larger than 3,000 gals….

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have to ask….the thread title says 3,000 gal tank car, but that looks considerably larger than 3,000 gals….
The problem is, you don't have anything to compare it to. The diameter is 3/4" + .015
to bring it up to the correct size. It's 5' 6" in diameter so it's very small, the model and prototype!

Regards, Bobby

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The car looks great. I worked for a railroad that had a refinery as a customer. Once a year, we would handle a “lead” car for the refinery. It was tiny but still weighed as much as a full size propane tanker. The tetraethyl lead was a high density, heavy commodity…

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Tom! I'll now have a model of the smallest and largest TEL tank cars! I should have it done in a few days.

Regards , Bobby

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The one we handled was Grey with black lettering. I don’t recall a logo anywhere on it. I wish I had taken a picture of it back then.

I have been looking for one in O scale. Some out there but not the same…

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one I'm doing is gray with a black stripe down the length of the side. It was ETHYL, but they moved the cars to Canada and removed the ETHYL emblem. They were EBAX but became ECCX after the move and kept the same number.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would have used the emblem, but no one made one small enough. I have the HK set, but it's for the 6,000 gal car that BLI makes that you've shown! I was happy they moved the cars way up north! Thanks!

Regards, Bobby

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I don’t remember any logo on the car. Just plain lettering. It’s been 35 years, so I may be a bit cloudy when it comes to the recall…😉

Tom

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Kind of like this, but I don’t remember the DuPont logo…which is hidden in the glare…

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts