Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this little bugger yesterday in the mail. Paid $20 bucks for it, no tender, but I have a tender for it. It runs, and smokes like the Devil, but there's a annoying click
002.JPG
003.JPG
and bang while it's running. Have to see what the problem is, but if I can't figure it out, I have many Atlantic running chassis I can swap out.. cosmetically it's very nice!!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Nice loco flyernut. Its amazing how many of those 1948 302s are still around. Gilbert must have made
2 tons of them. I sure wish we had production numbers for all these engines.

On that click and bang, try removing the smoke piston arm and see if noise is gone. I have one that
the smoke box is the problem. Bent chassis, bent arm, bent smoke box, not sure. Its like alignment
with piston is not right. But it makes noise. And NO I do not want to buy another 1948 302 from you, LOL.

Those diecast 302s are fantastic locomotives.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice loco flyernut. Its amazing how many of those 1948 302s are still around. Gilbert must have made
2 tons of them. I sure wish we had production numbers for all these engines.

On that click and bang, try removing the smoke piston arm and see if noise is gone. I have one that
the smoke box is the problem. Bent chassis, bent arm, bent smoke box, not sure. Its like alignment
with piston is not right. But it makes noise. And NO I do not want to buy another 1948 302 from you, LOL.

Those diecast 302s are fantastic locomotives.
Yep, I love them. Whenever I see one that's cheap, I buy it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Got this little bugger yesterday in the mail. Paid $20 bucks for it, no tender, but I have a tender for it. It runs, and smokes like the Devil, but there's a annoying click and bang while it's running. Have to see what the problem is, but if I can't figure it out, I have many Atlantic running chassis I can swap out.. cosmetically it's very nice!!
Do they have a smoke unit like the Lionel's up front?
You know I don't have any or never worked on them, but I had a Lionel clicking from the smoke unit bar/lever whatever it is called.

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smoke unit with a short linkage or bar that runs off a gear, and that in turns runs off the armature shaft. At first glance I believe there's a motor mount nub missing on the chassis causing the entire chassis to move around while the engine is running, or it could be a quartering problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I can buy one of these 302's? I would rather avoid ebay unless its a seller that you guys trust.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Before you buy a 302, Google the Gilbert Gallery site for variations. Also if you can find a copy of David Doyle's American Flyer Trains, he lists pictures and describes the variations. There are many variations. The best looking ones have added rails and link couplers. The later ones, while still die cast, have those rails cast on. After that, they were made of plastic with knuckle couplers. The plastic ones are the cheapest but the older die cast ones with the added hand rails and link couplers are nicer. Whichever way you go, 302's all run great.
I haven't bought an engine off eBay in years so can't advise you on that. Some of the other guys do and have done well. Others not so much. Not having any train shows has limited places to buy safely.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I agree with Kenny. Every AF collection should have a 1948 302. I have 2. Sorry not for sale. got both of mine
from flyernut, so you know they run well. One is a repaint flyernut did. Then I decided I wanted one with original
paint. Both are beautiful engines. Here are 3 things to look for to make sure you get a real 1948 version.
1. A diecast shell
2. The metal handrails
3. The eccentric linkage.
I would say if it has all 3 it is a real 1948 model. Kinda cool to have one older than me. I do not run across many
items older than me. They do run more money than most 302s, but worth it. 45.00 to 55.00 is normal.
I do alot of ebay searching, If I run across a good one I will let you know.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry my bad he has a 301 i have two 302 one is a 302ac and one just a 302. And flyer nut is right they run great and a note to flyernut 290 still running strong thanks again.

Al

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think I have around 7-8 of those hand-rail 302's. They keep popping up in my plastic tubs, they must be mating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm going to look for one of the wire handrail 302's. I have a few plastic atlantics, but I really like the wire handrail versions with the different valve gear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What's a good price for these? Ebay is kinda nuts,especially with shipping charges.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Me personally no more than 50. 00 but its the shipping cost. So total know more than 60. Thats one of the reasons not buying from e bay besides others things. Good luck

Al

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
keep watching, have patience, you will find a good one at a good price.
I agree with AL, no more than 60.00 with shipping and in good running condition.
I paid 45.00 each for mine and then shipping, so upper 50s.
Mine were in very good condition and running very good. Just remember, on ebay,
"untested" means it does not run.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I agree with everything you say mopac. Just for fun last night I went on eBay and searched for 302's only. Wow what an eye opener! The first shock was what sellers wanted for the 302 with hand rails or without. Unbelievable. Looks like a bunch of fisherman looking to snag a rookie buyer. One I saw wanted $149 plus $15 shipping. The starting bids were way out of line as were the Buy It Now prices. There were several in the $40-$60 range plus at least $15 shipping or more so that wasn't too bad. Most were in the "not able to test run" or "untested" category with $15 shipping being the lowest amount. Some wanted more. Hand rails or not it didn't matter. Like I have said, I'll stick to buying engines at train shows if we ever have any again. I realize mopac you have done well on eBay but I don't trust sellers on these kind of things.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Kenny, I too, have noticed some crazy prices. That seems to run in spells. Thats why I say have patience. And I repeat, "untested" means I tried to run it and it don't run. A seller would rather say " runs great". That should bring more money. Sunday I bought 2 really nice 302ACs. Same seller, same auction. I had to go to 39 something plus I think 12 something shipping. Those high prices you have been seeing got me to buy them.
They are diecast, good paint, good lettering. Seller was honest and said they do not run. I should easily be able to double my money. LOL, my problem is I buy things to resale and end up keeping them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts