Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I like the 302 with the handrails also, I think I have around a half dozen or so, maybe more..The last one I bought I think I paid less than $20 but it didn't come with a tender..That's ok I have plenty of tenders.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The 302ACs I bought do not have the handrails or the eccentric linkage.
I paid 20 each. They are very nice and complete. A good service and maybe
a smoke unit rebuild and can say they run and smoke great should bring
45 each. They will bring 45 or they will just stay in my collection. Very few
engines on ebay say fresh service, runs and smokes. And right now the prices
are crazy. I saw a plastic 302 for 79.00. I mainly look at completed auctions.
What they sell for is what matters, not what they are asking. They are bringing
some bucks. I have seen some good deals on Northerns. I have 4 and thats
enough. I bought one for resale but wll probably keep it. My memory is not the
greatest I think it is a 332AC I bought for barely over 200.00.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That buying off ebay to resell has never worked for me. When I was selling on eBay regularly I used to buy Lionel at local live auctions to sell on eBay. I knew Lionel would sell. Any AF I bought I kept. Back when I was buying off eBay to resell, it wasn't a winning deal. I'd keep what I bought. Usually because I'd paid too much to make a profit.
I always look at the completed auctions as well. Gives a good indication of what the selling market prices are.
A 332AC for barely 200.00? I wouldn't get that lucky.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
You just never know on ebay. I see things go for more than I thought and on the other hand
sometimes less than I thought. I thought I was going to get those 2 302ACs for 30 but someone else wanted them also. So a small bidding war. Always good for the seller.

I agree on buying on ebay and selling on ebay. Normally not worth it.
LOL, it might not be in this case. Worst that can happen is I add 2 more nice
locomotives to my collection. These are from 1950 or 1951. They have to be from
same owner. They look like twins. They were taken care of.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I thought I might have found a 1948 Atlantic for Kelpieflyer. I also learned something. I was poking
around ebay this morning. Found a 1948 Atlantic for 39 something. Had the handrails and the eccentric
linkages. Started looking closer. It had a big crack in a whitewall and was a 300 not 302. Which means
no smoke and no choo choo. I did not know there were 300s with handrails and the linkages. I would
do a Texas on that one, El Paso.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
All the 1946 and 1947 300's were wire handrails, detailed linkage, no smoke. Same for the 1949 and 1950 300AC's.
My wire handrail 302's and 302AC's were all purchased for about $60. They are all graded condition 7 or 8 and include the OW and OB with legible stamps. None were bought on line but rather at train shows. It is very hard to be sure what one is buying without actually looking at and testing the engine, especially if the true condition is important. Add $25 for shipping and that suggests $85 for a truly excellent and correct, unmodified 302. Subtract $20 for no OB.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I can buy one of these 302's? I would rather avoid ebay unless its a seller that you guys trust.
I might have one I can part with, how much are you willing to offer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm guessing about 50 bucks max. Seen them for less at train shows, but shows aren't happening for a while.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a nice one, great smoker, runner, head-light..Tender is very nice, cab numbers are there but a little light, still very readable. Send me a PM with your address, I'll let you know what the shipping is..Already packed up...Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll post a photo when I get it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great stuff here. Those late ‘40s Atlantic’s are great. Run well and look great with the wire handrail detail. I know mine is all right, but that is because I got it from the original owner (my mom). :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I posted a picture of the 302 from Flyernut in the Photo of the Day thread. It's a very nice engine.

Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bench tested it. I don't have a layout yet, but I plan on doing some kind of modular type of setup in the garage until we move and I have a dedicated train space.

Reactions: flyernut
21 - 40 of 40 Posts