Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearly new 30B came by a carrier that has a F in it's name and the box looked like it was rolled down a mountain. It was not square but round, looked like a basketball. The housing is broken almost in half and the bottom plate is bent. The seller thankfully is going to take care of me. But in the meantime I am on hold for a working transformer again.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Purchasers deserve more careful packaging. It is difficult to package a heavy 30B for shipping. The bakelite case is fragile and will crack or shatter with an impact. Packaging one for safe shipping is beyond the skills of most ebay sellers. Ideally they would use an 80lb rated HD box, wrap the 30B in plastic and fill all the space between the box and transformer with low expansion spray foam. That mimics how new transformers and engines are packaged in formed styrofoam and shipped today. The transformer will then be safe even when punted off a half empty metal shelf inside the truck by one of my 65lb cases of wine. Almost every case of wine I get shows some impact damage on the shipping box but the wine always comes out the winner of the impacts inside the delivery trucks.

·
Admin
47,469 Posts
In the 1980's I used to ship 80 pound video generators around the world, they were used in bond trading systems. We boxed them plastic wrapped and then they were encased in spray foam a few inches thick. These survived some tough shipping, and we never had one with major damage.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I never buy anything heavy such as a 30B or anything else just because of that reason. Some time years back I shipped a vintage Holley carburetor with the car manufacturers PN. stamped on it. In other words it was original to the engine from the car factory. It was shipped in a heavy duty box with all sorts of padding plus I incased it in spray foam around the bubble wrap. I got a complaint from the buyer about my over packing!!! You would think something that valuable that arrived undamaged the customer would have been overjoyed. Nope.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Kenny, you packed it right. Important since if someone is doing a numbers matching restoration there is no substitute. I have three of my Legacy engines in Schaumberg for repairs. I put each in its original Lionel shipping box then put those in an outer box. The larger outer box was destroyed but the three Lionel engine boxes were undamaged. Not sure when I will get the three engines back, two are finished but the third is waiting for a new Lionel Legacy radio board to arrive.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Tom that Holley was for a restoration so yes it had to arrive safely. Those Holley's with the original factory PN stamped on them along with the Holley PN are rare. That was the last of that type I had. About a year ago I sold a matching pair of AFB's for a Corvette restoration. I've had those carburetors for 30 some years. Back when you could go salvage yard searching and things were cheap and before people caught on including the salvage yard owners I'd buy all sorts of stuff. Mostly Chevy.

Kenny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts