Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bourght a 312 and three aluminum passenger cars one has the dome i showed pictures. Question 312 stuggels pulling them. I was thinking of buying the pullmor kit. Or is the engine not strong enough. I normaly take link couplers off but left them on this time like them . so i will leave them . any help would be grateful . thanks al

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
A 312 should easily pull three aluminum passenger cars on level track, the drive wheels will spin on a grade. The engine will not stall if it is running well. Make sure the car axle ends are clean and lubricated. The cars should roll relatively freely since they are heavy. Check that the wheels are correctly gauged.
If it still will not pull them then the 312 likely needs a cleaning and tuneup.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It is the distance between the backs of the wheels. With S gauge equipment this is easy, a dime should just fit between the wheels when they are the correct distance apart on the axle.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
No, the dime should fit between the backs of the wheels, the should be the width of a dime apart.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason my brain isnt working its not clicking in thanks i figure it out its best once i look at it it should click in . al

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I agree with Tom. Those cars are not rolling good enough. I suggest remove the wheels from trucks. Clean the axle ends. Oil and replace. Also I guess you could make sure that
there is not too much pressure from the copper strips touching the axles. That is if the
cars are lighted.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning guys did what u said cleaned polish wheels they had grease were were truck wheels ride on cleaned everything. Works grat thankyou again but i will invest in new wheels steel or brass . here is a photo .

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Gilbert quit making them because of problems pulling them. They went to plastic which are very easy to pull. Mine roll nice but it seems a struggle when I add 4-5 cars whichever engine I use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts