Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 312 spread all over my work bench. The one thing about that engine that has always bothered me is the boiler front has always been loose. since I have it torn down, now would be the time to fix this problem correctly There must be a way to tighten that up. I have tried various shim types but nothing seems to want to stay. I noticed the button on the one side and thought maybe a little solder added there might work. I have another 312 that is just fine. Anybody know of a fix?

Kenny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,207 Posts
The best solution is an engine with the brass spring clips rather than that friction fit button. I have several of those engines that the boiler front comes loose to the point of falling out. I have been tempted to epoxy them in but I overcame that urge. I have had some success using Tacky Wax. It come in small black round containers and is made by Department 56. There may be other brands at craft stores. I just smear some globs of it where the pieces meet and rubber band the boiler front on for a few hours. It works at least 50% of the time, the front can be easily removed and it is easy to wipe off the Tacky Wax. I normally use it to hold people and utility poles on my layout.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
177 Posts
I see the Boiler Assembly XA9504-D and the XA14A989 both have the spring clip. They appear to be from later model 310 K-5s and the 21115. Do you think that they would they fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,038 Posts
I use a dab of solder or a piece of electrical tape inside the boiler where the front pushes in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I have tried a dab of hot glue. Works well and it is not a problem to remove the boiler front later.
 
  • Like
Reactions: flyernut

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
Don't do what I did. I tried to bend the tab out some with pliers. It just broke the tab off. Now worse than ever.
The spring seems to work best if you can add the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have tried a dab of hot glue. Works well and it is not a problem to remove the boiler front later.
That sounds like the simplest method. I'll try it although flyernut had a good solution too.
Actually all the suggested solutions sound good. My thought was maybe rubber cement which I have plenty of. That is what I use to hold people and other objects in place.

Kenny
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top