Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my bridge in.
Going to start cleaning it up.

A few pictures of the start of the rebuild.

Scale model Vehicle

A few pictures for the T Man
Have you ever worked on these T?
Needs a complete tuneup lot of gunk on it. Though it does run fairly well.

Machine Electronics Machine tool Sewing machine Toolroom

Machine Machine tool

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is what T -man tells you to clean up. The armature assembly
You think its a little dirty?

The brushes were so oil soaked that they dripped when they came out.
I don't know how it even ran.:laugh:
I think someone was oiling the thing!

Picture shows plainly the gunked up slots to get clean and that copper is supposed to be nice and shiny not black.

I used a little Methylene Chloride from my private stock on a q tip,toothpick and soft rag (my high tech cleaning utensils :D) and all is like brand new now.
Nice and shiny now no sanding required. Though I did a little anyway.:rolleyes:
Some one also taped the light wire instead of soldering it. You can see it under the brush plate. I fixed that too.
I don't know why but they had the wire wrapped around a lever that turns too, nice work they did.

I put it together and forgot to take a picture.. Duh me.

All the old grease is off and new lube in place on the gears.

It runs like a champ now.

Auto part Engine Tool accessory Automotive engine part

I think I will add some weathering to the all ready weathering that's there.
Most of the old RR bridges on the road I see are all rusted and dirty

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you trust the wires?

Like the pictures. Now I have to find a basket case bridge. :)
No not really they are old.

I need a new terminal rubber piece where you screw the wires on. They are held on to the base just by the rubber piece that in time gets hard and brittle. Mine is broken.

Shown in the picture.
Electronics Machine Machine tool Technology

It's hard to find replacement parts for this bridge. I did find one guy on e bay though his prices are high.
I have not found the rubber piece yet. But I can secure it somehow. You can find the lifting rods. The motor I can't find any and the gears or gear rods I can't find either.
They must have used this motor in another item, but I can't find any info on it either.

If you buy a basket case you might have to fabricate some of the stuff you need to rebuild it.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,053 Posts
For the rubber use a fiberglass circuit board cut to fit. They have them without any copper just holes. Paint it black if you have too.

The motor is a 313m-1 fromthe Olsen Library but no pictures.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For the rubber use a fiberglass circuit board cut to fit. They have them without any copper just holes. Paint it black if you have too.

The motor is a 313m-1 fromthe Olsen Library but no pictures.
No need to paint it black as you can't see it anyway.

I was going to call Olsen up and tell him to send me 30 of the engines for $3 a piece you can't go wrong. LOL :laugh:

You ever see any of these T? I have been watching them on e bay. Over in around 4 hrs. They have three different ones for sale. I sure would like to get one but not for what they are going for!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190363297679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220536782761&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190363297647&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I put in all three for you to look at in case it's over before you log in here. check them out.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I saw a dealer, this weekend, selling lil stamped-tin boats (new). They were like the runabout in the first pic, but simpler in design. Beneath the deck, a tiny alcohol lamp burned, conducting heat to a little kettle of water in the rear via a tin strip. The water heated and boiled, the steam exited beneath the transom, pushing the boat slowly around the tub of water they sat in. JUST THE THING FOR T-MAN TO BUILD.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but then he would have to join a model boat forum.:laugh:

how much was it?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a dealer, this weekend, selling lil stamped-tin boats (new). They were like the runabout in the first pic, but simpler in design. Beneath the deck, a tiny alcohol lamp burned, conducting heat to a little kettle of water in the rear via a tin strip. The water heated and boiled, the steam exited beneath the transom, pushing the boat slowly around the tub of water they sat in. JUST THE THING FOR T-MAN TO BUILD.
Why didn't you buy it for me?:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I actually considered it---decided it was essentially stamped-tin junk on the level of the lil metal cricket-clickers we got when we were kids. I hate to load friends up with useless 'gifts' they then feel compelled to hang onto. If I send you something, Ed, I guarantee it will be something that won't run and will have come by being useless honestly.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing I have done is a little weathering to this.
Been working at work to darn much! No Time for anything!

I decided to just go with a weathered look.

I got a lot to go on it yet.

Scale model Transport Vehicle Wheel Auto part

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Being Jersey and all....seems there outa be a body floating out there, under the bridge....*L*

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
*LOL*...being Jersey and all, it just kinda sedimented up and stopped flowing!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still, I think the bridge is cool. Is it working?

It works but what you see is where it sits.
Waiting for a spot to put it.
And has a lot of weathering to go.

Makes a bunch of noise when the motor is working too.
I wonder if that is normal?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts