Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam looking at a 315 steamer. For 50. Plus 15. For shipping . according to my k line book thr e unit and speaker in tender. Know the photo shows tender is empty and e unit is is shell it says repaint and the lettering is poor i havent seen one like that. Need advice i think itsxa mismatch.

Al thanks

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The 315 was in the 1951 catalog but was not made until 1952. The tender should be stamped AMERICAN FLYER in sans serif lettering. It must have the long 3 spring trucks with sliding pickup shoes. If not the tender is not original to the 315 engine. The speaker, resistor and capacitor should be in the tender along with the standard 4 position reverse unit.
The 315 was the only link coupler engine made with the large (3/4") motor. Some had the large motor and some had the small motor. If the tender has the correct trucks and the engine has the large motor buy it and restore it. Otherwise take a pass and get one that is correct if you want a 315 for your collection.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I would say buy it. Mine has the small motor, and the speaker, resistor, and capacitor.I got it from the original owner, and I don't know where the heck I put it,lol.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
If the tender is empty, pass on it. Nothing you said makes it sound nice.
I would like a 315 wth large motor. Last few I have seen were going for close to 300.00.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The one on ebay for $50 is a renumbered 1947 310. It has a 2 wire connection, the reverse unit is in the boiler (the locking lever is visible) and the tender looks original to the old 310. This is in no way a legit 315.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
The one on ebay for $50 is a renumbered 1947 310. It has a 2 wire connection, the reverse unit is in the boiler (the locking lever is visible) and the tender looks original to the old 310. This is in no way a legit 315.
I'll ask the seller a question, shake him up a little,lol...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The 315 for $179 is legit and all there, looks 100% original. Looks like the small motor version. I think that while all original the condition does not justify the buy it now price, that engine is worth $100 to $125.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Sounds like a little free fun Flyernut!
Oh yea!!! I called him/her on all the facts you provided, I should have seen the 2 wire immediately!..I've been burned by "Trainz" before, I don't trust them very much. Thanks for adding that additional info on the 315, hopefully it will save someone from getting burned.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Neat! I did not look at the seller. Trainz should have enough "trained" staff to know better than to post this for sale.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will pass on it like i said the shell has the e unit in it and he is only asking 50. So i will definitely pass.

Al
Neat! I did not look at the seller. Trainz should have enough "trained" staff to know better than to post this for sale.
I did send to trainz about it they said there staff is looking into it.i told them to look in the k -line book and i told pretty much what you guys said.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Yes, a real 315, would not have reverse unit in boiler. Sounds like a messed up locomotive.
I have not looked at it, but have heard enough. Get a real 315.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will i was just looking and saw price and said to my self thats kinda cheap so i read the description and looked at photo and knew someone messed with it so that why i posted it asked you guys to confirm it.

Al

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Looks to me like a complete and genuine 310 with new wiring, relettering and a replacement KC. The irony is were it advertised correctly they might get $40 for it.
This kind of thing is why I have no ebay account and do not usually look at it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have noticed that Trainz tends to over grade their stuff. A while back I was looking at a 372 "Made by American Flyer" version of that locomotive. They had it graded as "C6 very good as per TCA standards". It didn't run, was missing a number board and had "light" scratches on the roof and chip paint. Very Good?? Not even close. Those light scratches were way more than light. They had it on a Buy It Now price of $220. They have a "Built By Gilbert" version on eBay right now for $94.99 Buy It Now listed as a C6, Very Good. It has numerous listed flaws and it doesn't run either. C6? Not in my world.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Kenny, overgrading has been a longtime problem in model train valuation and collecting. I rarely but anything I have not seen unless it is recent production and NIB. Almost every significant Gilbert item in my collection was purchased from John Heck, Dennis Bagby or Gary Clark and Laura Zase. These were all accurate and conservative graders with excellent sources.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I notice the same thing on tranz. So i passed up on stuff they sell. I have written to them before. No results they had a 353 circus while back by the photo one side looked like there was a chip in shell couldnt tell. So sent them a message alls i got was b.s. so i stay away.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Kenny, overgrading has been a longtime problem in model train valuation and collecting. I rarely but anything I have not seen unless it is recent production and NIB. Almost every significant Gilbert item in my collection was purchased from John Heck, Dennis Bagby or Gary Clark and Laura Zase. These were all accurate and conservative graders with excellent sources.
Tom when I was going to the Du Page train shows I bought several items from John Heck. Always reliable and great quality. All of my engines were bought at train shows over the years. I didn't trust eBay. Still don't. That Buy it Now 372 Made By American Flyer that Trainz had posted is exactly why. I don't know the other people you listed. I only know of Dennis Bagby.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Dennis provided almost all the sets photographed for the Greenberg Volume III Sets book. He bought many of them new from Glady's trains in San Diego when they closed and liquidated. Dennis lived in Altadena until last year and had a large separate building on the lot for a layout and his collection. His overflow items filled two bedrooms and a two car garage.
Gary Clark unfortunately passed away last week. Gary and Laura were at York and many eastern shows. They specialized in new in the box Gilbert items. They had the most MSOB items I ever saw, the Holy Grail of collecting.
At DuPage I also bought original Gilbert "paper" from Andy Jugle when he was thinning out his brother Peter's collection.I also bought a stack of NOS Talking Station records from Andy. I really should look for them and see which ones I have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts