Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the 315 I got several weeks ago in a large lot. Very nice engine, low run time, with the air chime whistle in the tender, and it works.
005.JPG

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Nice looking 315. Love the K5s. I only have a 312 that you helped me with the chassis. I really
don't see many 315s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice. I balked on a set with a 316 that the dealer wanted $200 for. Someone else snapped it up. I balked on it because my father (I've been buying trains for him) only had link coupler flyer. I should have bought it for myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I won a 315 on eBay that looks kinda dusty and the seller listed it as "untested". It also came with an original but unmarked wrapper. This was one of those rare engines that a repairman loves to find as I don't believe that this engine was ever worked on. Every part was original down to the motor brushes. My guess was that it was bought as a Christmas present and run a little and them stored away in a duty dry place for all these years. All I needed to do was a complete disassemble, scrape all the old hardened grease out of the gears then re-lube everything. Needed about a dropper full of smoke fluid to saturate the dried out wick and it ran and smoked great! The air chime speaker also worked good giving out that loud buzzer sound. At least with my 710 controller I'm able to wary it some for a better effect. :cool:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It is always great to find an untouched original, especially something like a 315 that is harder to find in any condition.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Very nice condition flyernut, the 315 was 1952 only. I see yours has 3 spring trucks. Some came with the large motor and some with the small motor, according to the guides. Tough one to find normally, and it great shape even harder.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I won a 315 on eBay that looks kinda dusty and the seller listed it as "untested". It also came with an original but unmarked wrapper. This was one of those rare engines that a repairman loves to find as I don't believe that this engine was ever worked on. Every part was original down to the motor brushes. My guess was that it was bought as a Christmas present and run a little and them stored away in a duty dry place for all these years. All I needed to do was a complete disassemble, scrape all the old hardened grease out of the gears then re-lube everything. Needed about a dropper full of smoke fluid to saturate the dried out wick and it ran and smoked great! The air chime speaker also worked good giving out that loud buzzer sound. At least with my 710 controller I'm able to wary it some for a better effect. :cool:
I agree about the 710 controller, it gives you a better sound than just the normal buzz from the 708 air chime controllers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts