Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to the Marx train world, but am hooked. It all started when I found a 999 set under my parent's basement stairs. From there, I've picked up some track, accessories, a 666 side chest smoker, and a 333 smoker. The 666 works great and smokes like crazy, but the 333 does not smoke.
--
Forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.
--
The bellows is grey with a red lever/flapper. I think it is working, but am not sure. I put a piece of tissue paper near it and it seems to be puffing. Is there any other way to tell?
--
The inner stack "red glow" plastic piece completely disintegrated (fell apart in my hands). Do you know if Robert Grossman, carries this part (is it part #35?).
--
Does anyone know if the heating element is a his part #202?
--
Also, is there supposed to be some other part or parts between or on top of the red inner stack piece or any other piece related to the stack (I know of the bellows, the red plastic piece and the heating element) - anything else?
--
Finally, I am unsure, but how does the air from the bellows get in to the red inner stack piece? While mine fell apart, before it did, I could not see a hole for the air to pass through from the bellows.
--
Thanks so much in advance for your help.
:)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,304 Posts
Hi. I am new to the Marx train world, but am hooked. It all started when I found a 999 set under my parent's basement stairs. From there, I've picked up some track, accessories, a 666 side chest smoker, and a 333 smoker. The 666 works great and smokes like crazy, but the 333 does not smoke.
--
Forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.
--
The bellows is grey with a red lever/flapper. I think it is working, but am not sure. I put a piece of tissue paper near it and it seems to be puffing. Is there any other way to tell?
--
The inner stack "red glow" plastic piece completely disintegrated (fell apart in my hands). Do you know if Robert Grossman, carries this part (is it part #35?).
--
Does anyone know if the heating element is a his part #202?
--
Also, is there supposed to be some other part or parts between or on top of the red inner stack piece or any other piece related to the stack (I know of the bellows, the red plastic piece and the heating element) - anything else?
--
Finally, I am unsure, but how does the air from the bellows get in to the red inner stack piece? While mine fell apart, before it did, I could not see a hole for the air to pass through from the bellows.
--
Thanks so much in advance for your help.
:)
Bump this for you, the man to ask this would be Benz trains.
Maybe he will see it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd email Robert Grossman. He would know as he specializes in Marx. Given the cost of parts relative to the minimum handling/shipping charge, I'd determine all the parts your may need. Is the heating element working or burnt out, etc. From his website ...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have several 333 smokers the bottom grey portion has a protruding round like cylinder shape that has the tiny airhole you speak of.Yes you can get all the parts from robert g.
I rebuilt mine using his parts except the wire smoke element had some liquid elements at home and used JB WELD to put the tin can that houses it back together.

When replacing element be careful removing the batting as its asbestos from long ago, fiber insulation works fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts