Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 342 off ebay several years ago. It was advertised as a 342DC. I thought the seller had it identified wrong since the cab number did not include "DC", but got it anyway because price was good and I couldn't afford a better example. Came without a tender. When it arrived, I discovered that it did have a DC motor. I figured I would change the motor out for more common AF universal motor and so I could run it on AC. Anyway, managed to find a tender with reverse unit and was still planning on changing the motor to AC. However before I did that, I started running it in DC with a bridge rectifier. Seems to run fine and the reverse unit works so I think I will leave it as is.

So, is this really a 342DC or is it a a 342 that someone changed out the universal motor for a DC one. Any thoughts?

PHM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Gilbert made DC engines numbered just 342 in 1947 and 1949. That looks like a 1949 engine, is there a smoke/choo choo unit in the boiler? The tender is from a 1948 engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize for not including the date stamp. Date stamp is Dec 1952. Smoke and choochoo in boiler.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The 1952 342 was the final link coupler 0-8-0 made and is very desirable. It was made only with the standard Gilbert universal series wound motor. It was the first 5 wire engine made so it had 5 wires between the engine and tender and it has "red glowing smoke" consisting of a red plastic smoke tube and the inside of the stack is painted white. A 1948 tender will not work with this engine unless the tender, the engine or both are rewired. You say a DC motor is in the engine. From the pictures it is clear there is an open pole motor, not a can motor. Is the DC motor an original Gilbert AlNiCo permanent magnet motor? Whatever is in the engine is not original to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts