Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I direct powered my operating track. I tested it with the milk car, and it works perfectly.

Now, I'm trying to use the log unloading car.

When I put the car on the track and give it power, without touching the controller, both uncouplers open. The car makes an audible buzzing. The unload works sporadically. When I touched a coupler, it was hot to the touch.

I tried unhooking one wire to the track, and only powering one of two center screws. No matter which screw I give power to, the car uncouples and buzzes.

It's important to note, I did nothing at all to the track. I just hooked wires to it.

I tried my milk car, and it does not uncouple no matter which button I push. It only works when I have both wires put on the track, but the little man comes flying out no problem!

Thoughts? Anything I should try?

I really don't need the uncouple to work, I just want the lift part to function.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Check the wires for cracks, and the connections. Hot to me would indicate a short. Also clean out the coil( the part that lifts). There could be dirt etc messing with the lift function. I know some cars will uncouple when activated. I haven't used my log car in bit so I don't remember!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok, I direct powered my operating track. I tested it with the milk car, and it works perfectly.

Now, I'm trying to use the log unloading car.

When I put the car on the track and give it power, without touching the controller, both uncouplers open. The car makes an audible buzzing. The unload works sporadically. When I touched a coupler, it was hot to the touch.

I tried unhooking one wire to the track, and only powering one of two center screws. No matter which screw I give power to, the car uncouples and buzzes.

It's important to note, I did nothing at all to the track. I just hooked wires to it.

I tried my milk car, and it does not uncouple no matter which button I push. It only works when I have both wires put on the track, but the little man comes flying out no problem!

Thoughts? Anything I should try?

I really don't need the uncouple to work, I just want the lift part to function.
Hi, I'm not sure which log car you have, but Lionel operating cars with coil couplers uncouple when the dump button is pushed because the sliding shoe which operates the dump mechanism also operates the coupler. It may be that the insulation is worn where the wires go through the holes in the chassis causing a short.

·
Admin
45,485 Posts
I'm assuming this is the #3451 log car with the coil couplers? I've never had one of those, but since the couplers and the coil are activated by the same shoe, I can see where decoupling is an issue.

One recommendation. See if you just remove the connection to the coil couplers that you can get the dump mechanism working properly. You don't really need the couplers to open anyway...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, it's the 3451 log car.

Evidently it's a known "issue" with the cars. They uncouple when you hit the dump button. I really don't want to go under there and clip wires, but I think that's what I will do just for simplicity's sake. I don't see myself ever using the uncouple feature anyway, and if I want to, I can always just re-wire it

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Michelle, check the power on the 4th and 5th rail with the transformer on and no button pushed. If you have power on these two rails with no button pushed, you have the control track wired wrong.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You should have a wire from the controller going to terminals 2 and 3 of the control section. You should have a wire from the transformer hot terminal to controller to wire #4, the wire that would have gone to terminal 4 of the control section. You should have a wire from terminal U of the transformer going to wire #1 of the controller. Hold the controller with the wires away from you. The wires are labeled 1-4 left to right.

When you push the uncouple button, you should have center rail power on both control rails. When you push the unload button, you should have center rail power on one control rail and ground (outside rail) on the other control rail.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michelle, check the power on the 4th and 5th rail with the transformer on and no button pushed. If you have power on these two rails with no button pushed, you have the control track wired wrong.
No power with no buttons pushed. my bulb lights up when I push the unload button, but nothing happens when I push decouple.

In fact, none of my cars decouple, which is ok because I don't want them to. Well, except the log car, that decouples every time I unload it, but I really don't want to cut the wires because I'm not sure that they would be easy to repair now that I'm looking at it.

Also, the log car has been worked on before, the wires are not original and the coil cover is a square piece of metal from something else that was tabbed to fit in. So there may be other problems with it that I don't know about.

I'll keep you updated... but keep your eye out for my log loader video coming soon!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Log car is driving me batty

Here is the cover that has been replaced
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386821645.144695.jpg

You can see the two new wires under the car. The blue one and the thicker smooth one, and probably the new looking braided one as well. who knows! My manual doesn't have a whole lot of information on rewiring this car, so I really don't want to touch it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386821666.242820.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8UIOS9T1s

Well, the log car decided to cooperate with the rest of the world on the last time around the track.

:D

(the youTube link is in the YT tags, but it's not showing up!!!)
You copied the whole thing, just copy after the = sign, just the ye8UIOS9T1s not the whole thing like you did, this just copy after the = sign, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8...ast part. [MEDIA=youtube]ye8UIOS9T1s[/MEDIA]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts