Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well taking a chance bought a 353 cicus just the engine figure i can get a tender for later. Come with a 920 gondala it is in poor shape the seller said it been in a barn for years. He nose nothing about trains he was asking 75. I offered 35 plus free shipping. So i bought it. When it arrive i will post photos.

Al

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I paid $85 for my circus engine with tender. Sometimes the tender is hard to get.I also have the coach car and the 2 flat cars, but no loads. They're too expensive for my taste.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I purchased a circus train 353 for $150 a while back. It had been refurbished and repainted. It look like new. It kept derailing because the drawbar was the wrong size and the tender would clip the cab in the corners. If you purchase another tender make sure the drawbar is the right length. I believe it should be three and a half inches.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Good luck on a tender. I don't see many just tender for sale. I need to walk down to road to check my mailbox. Tracking says my new wires for my Royal Blue were delivered saturday. My Royal Blue runs but one of the plugs is home made. Wires look original. I was going to repaint but I think I will leave as is. Its not bad. The wires I got have new plugs attached. Good luck Al on the circus engine.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Good luck on a tender. I don't see many just tender for sale. I need to walk down to road to check my mailbox. Tracking says my new wires for my Royal Blue were delivered saturday. My Royal Blue runs but one of the plugs is home made. Wires look original. I was going to repaint but I think I will leave as is. Its not bad. The wires I got have new plugs attached. Good luck Al on the circus engine.
You should have contacted me for those wires. I have some already made up, and I also have a set with new plugs and/or original plugs. Cost to you,0......

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If I wanted a Circus engine to run on my layout I would buy the 356 Silver Bullet that is on ebay for $85. Overhaul the smoke unit, respray it in the correct red and then add the yellow circus decals. More fun to run than an original.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a tender painted black wrong chassie. It wad cheap can use spare parts. Then 2 chassie for 5.00 for 350 353. Just the chassiefigure i can use the parts from that other chassie . i like a challange. Lol find out.

Al

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
flyernut, I had no idea you already had some 2 prong wires made up. Thanks anyway. I am happy with the wires I got. Turns out they are from some electrical company. So done up nice. Heat shrink tubing on end of plug and wires. I paid 9.00 with free shipping. They did use the flex wire. Not as cheap as yours but not too bad. Here is a pic of them.

IMG_0764.JPG

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Heck, they're nice!! I've seen those advertised on ebay. I use the original plugs, and add new 22 gauge wire to the plugs.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
flyernut, I had no idea you already had some 2 prong wires made up. Thanks anyway. I am happy with the wires I got. Turns out they are from some electrical company. So done up nice. Heat shrink tubing on end of plug and wires. I paid 9.00 with free shipping. They did use the flex wire. Not as cheap as yours but not too bad. Here is a pic of them.

View attachment 545921
Well, it's a good thing you didn't get them from as I can't find the darn things to take a picture of them,lol...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my 353 came in and the tender waiting for the chassie. I new what i was getting my self into. It will take a while. But here is some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Quite a restoration project. I wonder where engines like this are left that there is this much rust.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sellar said it was in a barn it also came with 920 gondala. He said he nose thoing about train i knew what i was getting i like a challange. Lol

Al

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I like those projects!!. I just got a 312 in 2 days ago, and it's in worse shape than that!!. It looks like it sat on the bottom of a river! I have all the shiny bits, screws, linkages, and handrails sitting in a bowl of Evapo-rust. The boiler and tender shells aren't bad, and it now runs after quite a bit of work,But I only have the chassis restored..All the drive wheels were shot, linkages were broken, etc. I only paid $35 bucks for it...good luck with your 353, I know you'll do a wonderful job on that restoration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts