Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car has appeared in the Antique Alley thread. The car was bought as a parts car from Charles Ro. The gate was cut from a piece of a toaster. So to start here is the result.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks John, I can see things will change for the better with the new members.

The lever was the whole problem to getting the gate right. The holes were drilled at opposing corners. A number two screw was used to attach the lever to the gate. The length is 1 7/8th , the width is 7/16th. The lower hole ( left) is 5/64th, the upper is 3/32nds. The rod is 1/16th for the gate.

The lower lever was the second one made ,the picture is outdated from the dimensions given. The right hole was drilled out from 5/65ths.

The setup was changed, the lever was placed on the outside.

The block spacer is 1/8th of an inch thick and keeps the hook at the frame in place with the lever.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got lucky on the second try. I rushed this one but I know it works now. They are neat little dump cars. Ebay had a few without gates. Oh yeah the logs are 5/16ths diameter and 5 inches long. I used 8 of them.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Outstanding job "T", I suppose all the dump cars on eBay are going to be rare items soon!!! ROFLMAO!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That is one old car. Good job. I have a 6 postwar 3469 postwar units that I rebuilt but they are not nearly as old as yours.....

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Nice t man, another one saved from the scrap pile:) it always amazes me what you can put together. My next question is now what do you use to fix the toaster!:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts