Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some "quick and dirty" help with a cattle car and platform.

I have what looks like an all original platform. I cleaned it up, but didn't change anything on it. I'm currently at my parents house so have limited tools and no replacement parts.

The platform IS working, but not all that well. If I hold it down, and give it a lot of juice the cows move pretty well. But I'd like to do a little tuneup if possible. I have my Greenburg book, but of course, the setup instructions are not in there, though I have checked the posts and stuff.

Normally I'd putter with it until I got it going, but of course now I have time crunch. So... if you have any quick hints, I'd be very grateful!

I'll post a video in a couple minutes. I have to get it uploaded to YouTube.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
you can see from the diagram BOTH the car and the platform (corral) get their power from the track.

Most layouts I see just isolate two sections of track and the platform and car become their own isolated display (separately powered)>

My question had to do with the olatform floor, is it bright and shiny so the cattle slide easily on those little base fingers OR is it tarnished and discolored which makes the cattle bind and then needs more voltage to get any action.

Once you get the floor clean (wax doesn't hurt) the vibration is all a result of the ramp fingers contacting the platform floor. All you can do is adjust the ramp contact to achieve optimum results.

On both the old and new (49, 50-55) models if the mounting bushings are hard as a rock this will prevent good vibration. (you have the older model - 4 rubber bushings on the sides of the corral floor).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the platform floor has been cleaned and polished, as you can see in the video... well, I hope you can see it! :)

The car is not getting any power. Well, it's getting power, but it's not doing anything with that power. That's the next thing we're going to trouble shoot, it's covered in the book, so hopefully we can figure it out. if not, we'll just let the cows vibrate onto a flatbed car... not idea, but better than nothing!

Thanks very much for the help! I finally got the track on the platform!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You can power the cattle pen from the track or from the transformer directly. There are two terminals on the cattle pen. One is ground (outside rail), and the other is power which can come directly from the transformer through a switch, or you can use the transformer to turn the power on and off.

If you have not replaced the rubber mounts for the pen and car, you are not going to get much action.

The car gets its power from the cattle pen. There are two blades that contact the shoes on the car. The track should remain unpowered when you operate the cattle car.

Make sure the blades contact the shoes on the car. Check for continuity between the two shoes. Check that one of the blades has power on it. The other blade is ground (outside rail).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.