Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got Hinges!

I am all set with the rubber. It works. I just have a liitle rust on some pieces. I'm bluing them up now.

Here I used the secret T-man Epoxy Sandwich Technique.

A little Cobalt Blue, 3/32nd hole and pin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
T-Man -- nice triage and battlefield surgery ... secret sandwich and all!

John -- Pics above are first time I've looked inside a launch car. The launch guts look somewhat similar to the 6650 missile car, but with the rubber diaphragm housing turned sideways. Do you know if the diaphragm in a 3665 is the same as the one in a 6650? Just curious. I replaced the diaphragm on my 6650 a while back, and the part (from Jeff Kane) was 6650-47.

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,168 Posts
Good save T.

Do you have the rocket?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have both cars and have recently pulled the diaphragms in both because they damped the spring too much. The rubber part, gasket, spring and retaining ring appear to be the same to me.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good save T.

Do you have the rocket?
The Rocket is the sick looking one I used with the flat car. 6650

Missing a few fins.:eek:hwell:

I only posted the car rocketless in the Junk Box.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,168 Posts
Missing a few fins.:eek:hwell:

I only posted the car rocketless in the Junk Box.

And you have not epoxied new fins on yet?:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,168 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anton, after Sputnik all toys had a missle theme. After all the space race had started.

I added wheels to finish. I also used some clear silicone sealant to protect my rubber cone. It was showing some cracking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
T-Man -- good diaphragm photo ... that does look just like the one in the 6650 missile car. Same retainer ring, too.

In the "missile toys" department, I had pondered a while back on how the toy industry (with Lionel at the forefront) responded to the onset of the Cold War, Sputknik, and the space race back in the late '50's. Crazy time to be a kid ...

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3105

Cheers,

TJ

1 - 20 of 41 Posts