Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I came into the possession of a HO scale CPRAIL 5004 locomotive which is in good condition and works well, except that the mounts for the couplers had been removed. I contacted Bachmann to see if they could help but the train is simply too old and they don't stock the parts needed to correct the problem. After looking all over for the parts, I decided to design my own and print them. For the small amount of work required, the result is better than I expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Oooohhh can you post a copy of your STL? I was thinking about a way to modify the coupler boxes so I could detect push-pull events, and I could work with this to test ideas without destroying a bunch of coupler boxes.

What size nozzle were you printing with? I assume you obtained some decent quality to allow the coupler to move freely?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I printed with a 0.4 nozzle - it's an Ender 3 upgraded with all-metal Micro-Swiss hotend, bltouch self-leveling and direct drive. I'm printing with PETG.

Here's the latest .STL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Great choice on the Ender 3! :) I have the pro with several printed upgrades. Currently waiting on some new cables so I can test out a printed direct-drive mod.

Nice design, what did you create it in? I see this doesn't have a center screw, has me wondering if that would actually work easier with what I'm trying? Now I need to think about this too! Thanks for sending the file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do everything now in Fusion 360. I started out making stuff for cameras and then after a while, everthing looked like a design problem to solve. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, no screws in the coupler box. Friction should hold it together, but I've glued mine for permanence.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Cool, I set up a template for hand-laid turnouts in OpenScad, one of these days I'll get back to it and rewrite it to be more robust.

I've never seen a coupler box glued in place, bet that would solve a lot of problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers! I could get a better finish with a smaller nozzle, but to be honest, it's barely visible when mounted on the locomotive and it works just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice work Aussiemandias
Boy oh boy I sure could use you for making part #1 of a two piece pilot deck/cowcatcher of a 50's Mantua Steam loco!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts