Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Admin
47,321 Posts
I've seen them on a layout, look just like the pictures on the site. I've contemplated firing up my big saw and making a ton of wooden ones. You can bulk stain them and slip them under the track. For a reasonable sized layout, those 3R-Plastics ones would get a bit expensive.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
If you want ties, consider tubular track on real wood. You need a small nail with an oversize head and spike away!!!!!!!!! Get rid of the metal ties altogether. It would make a very unique layout. I wonder how a switch would look???????

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hmmm, 500 pieces gets you through ~80 pieces of O27 track (figuring 6 a track). That's a nice little layout for $80. Or a bunch of scrap lumber and 20 minutes on the table saw. Hmmm . . .

Looks like an experiment for the post-holiday season.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Use some oak scrap and I bet the grain pattern might even look right.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ok - oak scrap + some stain. And they'll be incredibly durable.

Tough crowd around here. ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like that idea of cutting them myself. I would really prefer something that resembles real track vice just bare rails. Other than an "older style" look with the tubular, is there any real benefit from the non-tubular (graves, atlas, fastrak) over the old stuff?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought wood off of ebay listing under railroad ties for my 027 track, less than I could cut it for. I than spray painted it flat black. You just give it a lite coat of paint and it comes out just great. Here is another trick I did. I took and made a mountain out of thin styrofoam and the used expanding insulation foam and just built up layers to form a mountain. The natural curves and voids after painting green and mix in some browns, looks really great. Take and add a couple of pine trees and its done. I made mine into a coal mine by just cutting a entrance and adding so 1/4" wood to make timber support going into the mine.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you want ties, consider tubular track on real wood. You need a small nail with an oversize head and spike away!!!!!!!!! Get rid of the metal ties altogether. It would make a very unique layout. I wonder how a switch would look???????
what if you could cut out the gruve the same shape as the rail, then just remove the old metal ties and push on the new ties,this would keep every thing in alinement, you could still spike, them just for looks, I know I said I use and like fastrack, but I also love to come with new ideas and projects.

..............Mike

·
Registered
993 Posts
I like that idea of cutting them myself. I would really prefer something that resembles real track vice just bare rails. Other than an "older style" look with the tubular, is there any real benefit from the non-tubular (graves, atlas, fastrak) over the old stuff?
YES!! but fastrack is still tubular,and so is the new MTH track .but I like lionel fastrack JMO.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I definitely know when I'm doing after my Christmas trip now.

I think I have a thin kerf blade for my table saw. That should be able to cut a groove in which the ties can sit. If it's thin enough, maybe adding a couple of degrees of angle on either side of the cut would give a channel to slide the tie into. I like the idea of using a router for that as well. It would just mean finding or having the right bit made.

Hmmmm. . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.