Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lionel postwar 250 and would like to find something more accurate to the actual trains of the same period. Lionel is what Lionel is I guess, not saying I don’t like them but in this case I’d like to be more accurate.

My father and grandfather were responsible for MOW from Minneapolis/St. Paul to the South Dakota border. I worked one summer during college break and decided that the Sperry Rail Inspection car looked good. (Guys with their feet up in air conditioned comfort) and that’s exactly what I got a graduate degree in; applied physics/ultrasound.

I rode every locomotive the Milwaukee Road ever had. My favorite though were the early snow plows, Wow was that fun! Until you hit frozen cow or two, that made it interesting.

My Dad in the late 70’s. ‘ll post more pictures if anyone is interested.

I’d really appreciate any recommendations on manufacturers of Milwaukee trains in the Lionel scale and HO. Again, I’d like good accuracy, not necessarily upscale running quality/mechanics, just more attention to details.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Walthers Proto (their high end line) makes appropriate Hiawatha equipment in HO scale: Hiawatha : Y

The locos won't be available until December, though.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have a Lionel postwar 250 and would like to find something more accurate to the actual trains of the same period. Lionel is what Lionel is I guess, not saying I don’t like them but in this case I’d like to be more accurate.

My father and grandfather were responsible for MOW from Minneapolis/St. Paul to the South Dakota border. I worked one summer during college break and decided that the Sperry Rail Inspection car looked good. (Guys with their feet up in air conditioned comfort) and that’s exactly what I got a graduate degree in; applied physics/ultrasound.

I rode every locomotive the Milwaukee Road ever had. My favorite though were the early snow plows, Wow was that fun! Until you hit frozen cow or two, that made it interesting.

View attachment 543286

My Dad in the late 70’s. ‘ll post more pictures if anyone is interested.

I’d really appreciate any recommendations on manufacturers of Milwaukee trains in the Lionel scale and HO. Again, I’d like good accuracy, not necessarily upscale running quality/mechanics, just more attention to details.
Thanks in advance.
erniekim;

Kato makes a beautiful streamlined Olympian Hiawatha complete 9 car train including the skytop dome observation car, and big dome car. They also sell (separately) the FP-7 diesels to pull it. Mine is N-scale, but they may offer it in HO-scale. I doubt it's made in O-scale though, but our O-scale forum guys will know better than I do about that. I also have an earlier release Milwaukee Road passenger train and E8 units (again N-scale) in the UP "armor yellow and harbor mist gray" scheme. Milwaukee repainted their passenger equipment in Union Pacific colors when they contracted to forward UP's "cities" streamliners. This set is old, and may no longer be available new. However you may be able to find it on ebay. I don't know if Kato ever made this one in HO-scale. They were pretty much N-scale only back then, but they have gotten into HO-scale recently. Kato's detail is excellent, in my opinion, though some have been critical of it. Kato products are also high quality and their locomotives are very smooth and quiet runners.

hope that helps you;

Traction Fan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
erniekim;

Kato makes a beautiful streamlined Olympian Hiawatha complete 9 car train including the skytop dome observation car, and big dome car. They also sell (separately) the FP-7 diesels to pull it. Mine is N-scale, but they may offer it in HO-scale. I doubt it's made in O-scale though, but our O-scale forum guys will know better than I do about that. I also have an earlier release Milwaukee Road passenger train and E8 units (again N-scale) in the UP "armor yellow and harbor mist gray" scheme. Milwaukee repainted their passenger equipment in Union Pacific colors when they contracted to forward UP's "cities" streamliners. This set is old, and may no longer be available new. However you may be able to find it on ebay. I don't know if Kato ever made this one in HO-scale. They were pretty much N-scale only back then, but they have gotten into HO-scale recently. Kato's detail is excellent, in my opinion, though some have been critical of it. Kato products are also high quality and their locomotives are very smooth and quiet runners.

hope that helps you;

Traction Fan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Picture reminds me of the Milwaukee Road depot in Clinton Minnesota! We kids used to call them putt-putts... I have mainly Athearn Blue Box Milwaukee Road. That was all I could find about thirty years ago that came close. The newer stuff looks good...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts