Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i needed to fix the grade to the upper level. After I mellowed out the first 6 feet I saw a rusty little turnout staring at me wanting to be used! Hmmmmm.... No where to go but up right! Here we go!
Also the crappy paving I did was removed. Don't try my stupid paving idea. It was fun but too brittle and not attached to the ABS very well. Anyways It was getting too close to "done" and that scared me because when this is done I know I will need to go way BIGGER I am learning what works and what doesn't with this layout. If I clean out my 2 car garage maybe I will go totally NUTS in there. She doesn't like it in the Living room so much anymore!
Anyways I'm not sure what or where this wanna be helix is going or if it will even work but I will let you guys know. I did some research on building a Helix on youtube and this forum and a few others as well. I know what those guys are building are 4 foot across or better for HO.
I used to work at a place that manufactured all thread rod and pipe hangers and supports for Fire Sprinklers and plumbing. Man I should have stocked up. I saw a few nice easy to build helix's made using all thread and nuts for easy adjustment. With that said I won't pay Home Depot prices for that sort of material so maybe its time to visit some Ex coworkers and say Hi!

Demo almost done!

Cleaned up a little and got the crappy easy track outta here!

After fixing the grade as per Sean's 1" per 3 foot rule I glued down the flex track I scored yesterday. Man this is the way to go! Super easy and 36" goes a long ways! Flex track is the way to go!

I also cut more roadbed and clipped it in place to see where I can go with this. The spacers here are temporary and not cut to size on the 3rd level. Also obviously a few are in the way of where the tracks go. I will have to be creative on these supports for the 3rd level!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
TONOFFUN80,
Sorry CP must find out something do you have a quick pick of a BC rail engine?
Oh yea and CP you know what I think of your adventures!!;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
sorry for the highjack

Just don't have the red white and blue livery
also i don't have any prototype pics just my ho stuff

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Cp won't mind the highjack (I HOPE) CP get back to working on your trains!
What Canadian railway has blue and real thin white stripes at an angle down the sides?
Close to Montana rail link but not the same.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Well good morn there sleepy head!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
No not new engines just trying to find out what the 4 engines were that went flying by my place last couple of days? :sly: They were odd colored with no logo's or name's, They looked alot like Montana Rail Link color's! They were doing about 60 threw the tree's so I didn't get the best look at them, I'm 90% sure they were Canadian:cAnada:.
Dr.'s ????? Everything OK I hope! if it's with Dr. WOO WHO spare us the details please!!:D
No Frontal Lobotomies for you either, must keep brain for trains!:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are those drills in a different scale?

Somehow, they don't really look right...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update for 2-22-11

Drills are Dewalt 1:1 Scale. Kick [email protected]# tools IMHO. Anyways here is an update for tonight 2-22-11. I worked out a few spots I could sneak a pillar under and completed the 2nd circle. Tried my best to stick to 1" rise per 3 feet. After the glue dries in the AM I will glue down more flex and see where this might go????

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys! Here is a little more progress for tonight Thursday 2-24-11. I did some rough framing for the Mountains in this coroner and fixed a kink in the helix.Also Soldered a few spots and continued the bridge 3 more feet. I want to get all the track work finished and working smooth before I start tunnel portals and stapling screen down. I tried to leave good sized access holes in the rear for maint. and derails.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Doug! Today I made the tunnel portals and fixed them in place. I still have more track work to do before I can start screening the shape of the Mountain. I am going to continue construction on this layout and as soon as I make some space in the garage Construction will begin on the BIG layout. Its in my head right now! :laugh: The Helix thing isn't as smooth as I would like but it is my first helix as well as first try using flex track. Used flex track on top of that. Oh well I am going to leave it. I figure smaller logging or Mining trains can chug up it slow. My Bachman Amtrack will pull a few cars up to the top so I am happy. I have learned a lot on this build and I am learning what not to do next time.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts