Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to find a 4-6-0 that is a slow mover and is a great puller (DCC). I do have a Bachmann and it's not bad at all, but not really a big puller. I understand the RAPIDO is planning to release a 4-6-0 in the future. I've never even seen a RAPIDO steam engine and wondering if I can hope for a better puller when the RAPIDO is released....and good slow speed performance. Has any one purchased a RAPIDO steam engine...and what do you think of the pulling power and slow speed? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Just a heads up...
In my limited experience, most HO scale steam locomotives are not usually associated with the phrase "great puller".
Some are, but not many. The big heavy ones will pull pretty well, but a 4-6-0 may not be heavy enough.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The 'ten wheeler' arrangement is an old one popular around the turn of the last century. They were small steamers, smaller than the 2-8-0 Consolidation types that succeeded them, and much smaller than the Pacific and Mikado classes that started pulling fast freight and passenger cars as the Ten Wheelers were beginning to show their lack of oomph. For example, few of them were super-heated, and many still had slide valve arrangements that precluded super-heating anyway. So, comparatively low horsepower boiler output, and they were light and smaller as so many were designed shortly after, or during, the American Civil War.

In keeping with their dimensions and tractive effort, it should not surprise the modeler when he/she learns that these HO scale steamers are indeed quite small as steamer runs, and because of that they'll also be light. Being light means they'll have less tractive effort because they have less weight on their driving wheels.

You should still expect your small 4-6-0 to shove or to trail eight-to-twelve 40' boxcars on level track, which is about what they managed in the real world. As soon as it encounters a grade much more than about 0.4%, you'll find it struggling.

Someone less civil and ethical than I might point out that, in the real world, such steamers often tag-teamed a consist up grades. This means you should probably buy two of them. :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of that information...and I realize that the 4-6-0s that I am thinking of, would be near the end of their production/use. The Penn G5 would be a fine example. Quite large for a 4-6-0 I realize. But I think it was quite the big-little beast. The Canadian Pacific railway had some larger 4-6-0s. (Think that this is the one that Rapido will release…if things go well.) The Southern Pacific has some larger engines as well (with vandy tenders!) T class I think....So I was wondering what the pulling power and slow speed performance of Rapido engines are like..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well, since you already have a 10, why not just go for say, a 4-6-2.. Bachmann's 2-8-0 is hefty and I think they are being offered again...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, the Bachmann 2-8-0 is a descent puller...also much more modern than the 10 wheeler. I am hoping for a more modern, heftier puller than the present Bachmann10 wheeler from the same production period as the consolidation (or Broadway limited). My slightly-educated guess is the Bachmann ten wheeler is from the late 1890's and I would hope for something from the early 1920s

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have you looked at any of the Bachmann Light Pacific models? I've got one and it can haul pretty well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Thanks for suggestion. I have rather tight curves (24 inches) and I do have a Mikado...but the consolidations and 10 wheelers look so much better on those curves. And Rapido is going to produce a more modern 10 wheeler so I was wondering about the performance of the Rapido steam engines.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't had any experience with Rapido, but from what I've seen their locos are well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I am hoping to find a 4-6-0 that is a slow mover and is a great puller (DCC). I do have a Bachmann and it's not bad at all, but not really a big puller. I understand the RAPIDO is planning to release a 4-6-0 in the future. I've never even seen a RAPIDO steam engine and wondering if I can hope for a better puller when the RAPIDO is released....and good slow speed performance. Has any one purchased a RAPIDO steam engine...and what do you think of the pulling power and slow speed? Thanks.
steamloco;

I can't help you with Information on an HO-scale ten-wheeler from Rapido. ( I'm just an ignorant N-scaler :LOL: ) However, I do have two suggestions. N-scale steam has the same problem with marginal pulling power. One trick I've used successfully is a powered baggage/RPO car behind the anemic steamer. I made mine with a Kato diesel hood unit mechanism under a Bachmann "shorty" baggage car body.
The other suggestion is in the form of a question. Have you tried adding weight to your present Bachmann ten-wheeler? You can test the effectiveness by setting something a bit heavy on top and securing it with scotch tape. A stack of coins or washers can work. If the temporary, external weight helps the loco pull better, then you can explore the possibility of adding weight internally. The factory weights in most locomotives are often not as heavy as they could be. They are usually made of Zamac alloy or some other cheap metal. You can substitute a commercial bismuth alloy product called "Lo-Temp" which melts at a lower temperature than plastic. If your careful, you can pour the melted Lo-Temp right into the plastic boiler of the loco. To insure you don't melt the plastic, put the plastic loco shell upside down in a tray of ice water, with the edges of the shell just above the water line.

Good Luck & Have Fun:

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The 2-8-2 arrangement was probably bested in terms of numbers across the continent only perhaps by 2-8-0 arrangements, but I wouldn't bet on it. It was a very popular type of loco that could work on both freight and passenger service, especially in hilly territory where it had to work by itself. It has a lot more weight on it's drivers than a 4-6-0 has, is probably super-heated, and may even be a 'heavy Mike' with quite a bit of weight on its drivers compared to the light version. I believe Bachmann sells one, but BLI sells scads of them. Also, Marklin's Trix just put out a new issue of their 2004 version of the NYC's H-6, one of which I happen to own. It's a wonderful quality locomotive, although steep in price. You really do get what you pay for in this particular case.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Iv'e got three HO ten-wheelers: The Bachmann is a tender drive (meaning the engine is a dummy) and is really quite tiny (49" drivers). The tender weighs 6.2 oz and all wheels appear to be driven. I haven't taken it apart to see if you could put more weight in the tender. The second is an old Tyco, 60" drivers, the last wheel is offset. It weighs 8.6 oz but there is only one tire with traction band and the band is hard and slippery so I wouldn't give it much pulling power. The third is a really old Aristocraft B&O Royal Blue that (thankfully) someone repainted. It weighs 11.3 oz and has the biggest drivers of the lot at 76". It also has terrible pulling power. I have Bullfrog Snot but haven't messed with it yet. Also with the older motors you don't get real low-speed performance (but who would want that with 76" drivers)?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just conducted impromptu pulling experiment using ~40' boxcars and the Aristocraft pulled three but slipped on six and couldn't pull nine, the Tyco slipped on three (it slipped on the curves without any cars) and the Bachmann pulled nine but not 12. Definitely need to try the bullfrog snot.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
DC here. Varney is my favorite 4-6-0, slightly bigger than the Mantua/Tyco. The Tyco (with one traction tire) can pull 5 cars up 2% grade on 18" radius.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Off subject a tad; I have that same DC Varney 10..I went DCC so never ran her. But man, are they hefty !! All that metal !! I can't see in your cab, but it looks like it has the old open frame motor...I wonder if anyone has put a can motor in her and a DCC decoder... 🛤🌄

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have seen the Pennsylvania g5 in brass by west side I think it was. I’m not sure on what you want to spend but it’s an option. You can make a brass loco run like a Swiss watch and can make them heavy relatively easy too. Something to consider

1 - 19 of 19 Posts