Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. can one shell change between 4-6-4's having the can motor configuration?
Ex. swapping Blue Goose for Empire State Express or newer 4-6-4 Hudson and Streamline Dreyfus w/ enclosed cab area. They look as tho it would or should work. Don't have one to compare beyond drawings available online.
My Con-Cor Rivarossi ESE 5429 chassis and drive line is toast
Putting modern drive under old body.

RHF

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts
Chances that it's an even swap are slim.
But if the motors are the same physical size, at the very minimum you might just need to carve meat out somewhere. Exact swaps between different genre (or production runs) are rare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The answer is YES they are, if they are RED BOX versions.
Apparently that designates switch to can motors vs pancake type w/ exposed brushes.
This takes into the process the swapping of the front wheel set carriages as well as the drive wheels as a unit to allow the streamline config of the ESE front. A lot of work but it saves an older friend.

RHF

·
Registered
964 Posts
If it’s an ahm loco it will have the little pancake motor that is a super high speed loco, not the greatest for dcc, and isn’t very good for low speeds. If it’s a red box it should have one of two types of can motor. The older one has brass bushings on either side of the motor and one is a very nice can motor With flywheels. The main difference is if you have a red box with pizza cutter wheels then they “should” swap over. That’s the con cor era if it’s got a smaller flange it’s the hornby era which I seriously doubt it will swap over. I have 3 of the rivarossi blue goose models and the older two use the same methods of mounting the shell and a very similar chassis. I don’t have an example of the newest run because I bit the bullet and bought a brass model of it and decided to be done with it. If needed let me know and I’ll go tear a couple apart and see if I can get the bodies to swap over. The main issue I would see is if you’re wanting to have a con cor era body on an ahm chassis. The boiler blackhead detail won’t allow that to happen as the ahm locos have the motor in the cab

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.