Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try a couple 40' well cars. I just wanted to share a couple photos and welcome comments if anyone is interested.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,783 Posts
I decided to try a couple 40' well cars. I just wanted to share a couple photos and welcome comments if anyone is interested.

Nice pictures. Scenery etc..(y)
I don't know, but to me it looks funny having the longer container on top of the smaller one.

Reactions: 498cm3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pictures. Scenery etc..(y)
I don't know, but to me it looks funny having the longer container on top of the smaller one.
Good observation Big Ed. I see some stack trains West of here, and they are always the same length top & bottom.
I have one more well car and one 40' corrugated container. I was going to get another 40' for stacking that, or just leave the single.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
It might look funny, but it is done…..all the time….

The main reason they do this is because some well cars cannot accommodate larger containers in their wells. 90% of the worlds containers are 20′ or 40′. Larger sizes in North America are domestic containers. As a result many “well cars”, especially earlier ones, are only built to 40′. Placing the larger container on top allows a well car to carry a container it couldn’t normally.
Plant Rolling stock Slope Wood freight car

Plant Train Vehicle Rolling stock Sky

Train Sky Rolling stock freight car Track

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,783 Posts
Well, still looks funny to me.:)
It looks like they just clear the tunnel and bridge?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, still looks funny to me.:)
It looks like they just clear the tunnel and bridge?
The tunnel and bridge, those obviously are all scratch built, and I went a little beyond NMRA clearances. So those containers are both high-cube, and have roughly 8mm of clearance left over.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,783 Posts
Nice job, and what I can see of your layout that looks nice too.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,783 Posts
Thank you kindly, Big Ed.

Doc

Just looked at your other pictures, yes, nicely done. (y)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The connection points are standardized at the 40' length, even for longer containers, so you can stack any combination of 40/45/48/53' containers on top of each either. Having longer containers on top overhanging the ends of the car is extremely common and done every day.

The only thing you can't do is stack 20' containers on top of longer containers, as there's no securement points in the middle of the long container. 20' containers are bottom-position only.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Funny they put the 2 20' containers at the bottom and in a 53 well car too. Must be because of the support nubs on the Schneider 53' are only on the 40' interval...:unsure:
Yes. You CANNOT stack 20's on top of longer containers since there's no securement points.

Also 20' containers basically have the same weight rating as a longer container, so 2x20' can be a lot heavier than 1x40 etc. So loaded 20's on top could be top-heavy.

20's are always found in the bottom position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts