Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning i mormaly in s gauge but my brother in law gave me a american flyer o gauge set 401 i am looking for a parts list and diagram anyone know were i can find one .

Thanks Al

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The 401/403 engine was made in 1939 and 1940. The engines stamped 401 are less common than those stamped 403 as it was shown in the catalogs. That engine is probably worth $100 to $125 to the right collector. I recommend you post this picture and question on the OGR forum in the Tinplate section. There are some AF O gauge collectors there who would know about these things.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Al, I have been trying to help you find a repair manual for your 401. No luck here either. Parts are not easily found.
With luck maybe you won't need much. Some repro parts are made. All I have found, and its not much help, is this
video. Read the comments to the video. Good luck and I will keep searching.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks i been seraching to i did get it to run but just want to take shell off clean it oil it. But i need is front guide wheels 2 of them and 4 rear trail wheels there is nothing left of them. O think thats all sounded good when bench tested.

I will keep looking thanks Al

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I would give Portlines a call for those wheels. I think a good clean up and lube will take care of things for you.
Maybe a new set of motor brushes. Again ask Portlines for them. Costs nothing to call them. I would think a good copper cleaner would work better than toothpaste that one video guy used on the piping. Get some "twinkle", found at any grocery store. Its
really good on metal tender wheels also.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doug peck answered me there is no part or wire diagram for prewar because they did all the work at factory
But he might have wheels i need he will get back to me when he gets back.

Al

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Morning i mormaly in s gauge but my brother in law gave me a american flyer o gauge set 401 i am looking for a parts list and diagram anyone know were i can find one .

Thanks Al
This eBay link may be promising. Seller has 100% positive rating on over 1K sales. I'd contact him to verify it has prewar and/or the 401 loco.

eBay AF Service Manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts