Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught UP 4014 in the snow today as it headed back to the UP shops in Cheyenne.

In this picture it's pretty hard to tell it's 2019 and not 1949 :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Nice shots. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
The second picture should replace the Train we have up top on the site.

That has been discussed a lonnnnnnng time ago.
But CP Rail #6550 still stands.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I'm happy to see it earning revenue.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm happy to see it earning revenue.

Actually those were brand new covered hoppers that were empty. The reason they're towing them is to save on using the brake shoes on 4014. The brake shoes on 4014 were not replaced during the rebuild. This was told to me by Ed Dickens himself.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
+1. Suitable for framing. And I'm impressed with the "director's cut" video. Great.
They ought to be made into glossy Postcards. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments. I consider myself very fortunate to live near UP's mainline from Denver to Cheyenne (where UP houses it's steam engines). Cheyenne is only an hour drive from my house.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Actually those were brand new covered hoppers that were empty. The reason they're towing them is to save on using the brake shoes on 4014. The brake shoes on 4014 were not replaced during the rebuild. This was told to me by Ed Dickens himself.
Are they using the train brakes from all of the cars to help 4014 braking? What about the dynamic braking from the Diesel locomotive?

Train and locomotive braking is not something I know a lot about.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Personally, photo #3 is the one I like best. But they're all just plain cool!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Personally, photo #3 is the one I like best. But they're all just plain cool!
I would go with any of them to get rid of the CP that been there since the beginning of the MTF site.

Just so........BLAH. :smokin:

·
Registered
476 Posts
UP 4014 KC VISIT

The 4014 was in Kansas City on the 18th. Awesome Engine. I tried to get some decent pics but the crowd was pretty heavy around the Engine. Nice video & still pics for sure. As far s using the hoppers for brakes the UP did the same procedure when they towed the 4014 from LA to Cheyenne. Sometimes a Steam Engine needs a load in order for it to run properly. UP could have made a revenue run by delivering the new hoppers.

LATER

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are they using the train brakes from all of the cars to help 4014 braking? What about the dynamic braking from the Diesel locomotive?

Train and locomotive braking is not something I know a lot about.
I've been able to visit UP's steam shop numerous times and to talked to various members of the steam crew, including Ed Dickens (head of UP's steam program and the only one that operates 4014). Ed told me they know the steam purists would love to see the steam engines operate without a diesel in the consist, but it's there for several reasons.

One is in case the steam engine breaks down, the diesel can push it to a siding. Another is the dynamic braking. Like the cars the steam engines pull, they can use the wheel brakes on the diesel and save the brake shoes on the steam engines. Another reason for the diesel is that it allows them to ease off the throttle and stretch the fuel mileage out on the steam locomotives. And lastly, Ed has said he does not want to work the steam locomotives hard. He wants them to last for many years to come. So using a diesel reduces the wear and tear on the steam engines.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
One is in case the steam engine breaks down, the diesel can push it to a siding. Another is the dynamic braking. Like the cars the steam engines pull, they can use the wheel brakes on the diesel and save the brake shoes on the steam engines. Another reason for the diesel is that it allows them to ease off the throttle and stretch the fuel mileage out on the steam locomotives. And lastly, Ed has said he does not want to work the steam locomotives hard. He wants them to last for many years to come. So using a diesel reduces the wear and tear on the steam engines.
It's nice to get that perspective and explanation. I've often figured it was for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm curious why they didn't replace the brakes on the 4014. Were parts not available, or not able to be manufactured?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts