Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on e bay came across this 5342 asking 55.00. Needs work so i put it googel to look it up it came up lional. They say its american flyer. Has anyoe heard of 5342 steam engine.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Does not sound like a Flyer. It does sound like a Lionel number. Lots of sellers are not train people
and don't really know what they are selling. I have seen what was called Flyer but I did not recognize,
it was Pre War Flyer. Which is O gauge.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was looking at some supposed AF stuff on Craig'sList a while back, no pictures. The seller said it was his Dad's from long ago. (3 rail track.)
Buyer beware as usual.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
There is and engine on ebay now with the cab number of 5342. That is just a 1946 or 1947 320/322 that a previous owner renumbered. It looks like there are some round head rivets so it was likely a 1946. No tender, no boiler front, poor condition. I would not take it if it was free.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I am not familiar with all the unique detail identifiers for Lionel OO engines. From the pictures in the ebay listing I could not rule out the possibility it is a OO Hudson.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is a picture of the Lionel 5342. I have a full set. They are built and run like Swiss watches.

They came in 2 and 3 rail versions. They are 1:76 scale and highly detailed. Lionel only made OO gauge from 1938-1941. Not very popular, even advanced collectors know very little about them.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I have seen some Lionel OO in the past but never dug into the details of OO. The engine shown is more detailed than the Gilbert S gauge one. The engine on ebay is a 1946 Gilbert S gauge Hudson. In the pictures of the engine bottom the two brass contact buttons are even visible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts