Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here a while back about making your own 54" wide radius curves like the K-Line type, now discontinued... I had some extra time tonight and tried a little experiment making my own. It was fairly easy.. I dis-assembled some original flyer track, created the correct radius on the basement floor, and bent the rails, one at a time.. A better way would be the create a jig from some 1/2" plywood to make the bending more exact, but my hand-bending seemed to work very well. The newly bent curves are not as long as the original K-Line track, but I think they should work in a pinch. If you want more ties, just take them from a junk piece of track. You can see the difference in the radius from the following pictures.. Gauging is still correct..It's a little labor-intensive but for the first try, completely worth it, in my opinion.
001.JPG
002.JPG

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Looks pretty good. I need one more wide curve piece, might be able to make it.
A jig would be good. For just one piece I could use one of my wide curves
to trace a pattern on a board. Like you say it would be a bit shorter. I could make
2 half pieces of wide curve. It would take 2 pieces of Gilbert track but I have plenty.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks pretty good. I need one more wide curve piece, might be able to make it.
A jig would be good. For just one piece I could use one of my wide curves
to trace a pattern on a board. Like you say it would be a bit shorter. I could make
2 half pieces of wide curve. It would take 2 pieces of Gilbert track but I have plenty.
Thanks
Much to my embarrassment, I used the wrong radius to make the curve, but the end result would be the same.. Getting old sucks,lol!!!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Flyernut, great work on the wide radius curve, the rails are perfect.
A thought for anyone who will recurve Gilbert track. The only reason to use 27" radius is to match existing pieces of K-Line track. Gilbert track is a modular system, to stay in the module dimensions the wide radius curves should be 25" and 30". With these curves a half circle of 25" R is the same size as a 20"R curve with one straight track added, a 30"R half circle curve is the the same as a 20" half circle with two straight tracks added. This eliminates the need to cut odd size pieces of track when building a layout. This is why SHS made 20", 25" and 30"R track rather than 27" radius.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyernut, great work on the wide radius curve, the rails are perfect.
A thought for anyone who will recurve Gilbert track. The only reason to use 27" radius is to match existing pieces of K-Line track. Gilbert track is a modular system, to stay in the module dimensions the wide radius curves should be 25" and 30". With these curves a half circle of 25" R is the same size as a 20"R curve with one straight track added, a 30"R half circle curve is the the same as a 20" half circle with two straight tracks added. This eliminates the need to cut odd size pieces of track when building a layout. This is why SHS made 20", 25" and 30"R track rather than 27" radius.
As usual, the man with all the answers,lol.. Thanks for adding to the thread!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Looks good to me flyernut. If I didn't already have a good supply of the K-Line, I'd build a jig and bend some track. I might anyway just to do it.
Tom, I hadn't thought of a radius in the terms you listed. Before K-Line track I used to put 1 straight piece in the radius just because I needed to, never giving any thought to the science of it as you described.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you figure to draw out a 54 inch radius with out a sample piece . i dont have a piece.
Thanks al
I wanted a sample piece too, but didn't have one. What I did was to use 54" as a diameter.. I put a dot on the basement floor, and using my tape-measure,I measured out to 27", (half of 54) from the dot..I then placed a pencil at the end of the tape measure, and swung a arc, much like using a protractor.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i thought that wad the way but wasnt sure if you had another way thankyou for your help. How you been.

Al
Good enough, my defibrillator has been working fine, but there's something wrong with my hands.. They're swollen pretty bad, it looks like I went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson,lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts