Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sry to ask this question but what are the min's for HO turns and turnouts for 6 axle engines and long cars? i was wondering if they will work on 22 radius and #4 turnouts?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I have older ones that can but the tendency nowadays is to make them to run a min. 22" radius so you'd have to check their site out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sry to ask this question but what are the min's for HO turns and turnouts for 6 axle engines and long cars? i was wondering if they will work on 22 radius and #4 turnouts?
Yea, my Athearn SD-60 and SD-70 run on 18 degrees just fine. All turns are #4 on my set up. The only thing I have a problem with is 89 foot flat cars, even on SOME 22 degree turns.

My Broadway Limited SD-45 though, will NOT go thru 18 degree turns without trying to derail.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea, my Athearn SD-60 and SD-70 run on 18 degrees just fine. All turns are #4 on my set up. The only thing I have a problem with is 89 foot flat cars, even on SOME 22 degree turns.

My Broadway Limited SD-45 though, will NOT go thru 18 degree turns without trying to derail.

Food for thought.
really... you run 6 axles on 18 degree turns... wow. I had no idea that could be done successfully. I have been really hesitant to purchase a 6 axle because of having 18 degree turns. Maybe I'll give it the "Ole College Try".

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
really... you run 6 axles on 18 degree turns... wow. I had no idea that could be done successfully. I have been really hesitant to purchase a 6 axle because of having 18 degree turns. Maybe I'll give it the "Ole College Try".
I have a Mehano 6 axle SD 40-2 that can run on a 15 degree. It does have the coupler mounted to the truck though. Also looks odd due to the hang over. The Athern blue Boxes can handle 18s. The main issue I run into is cars longer than 55".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 22" radius turns should be fine, But I would recommend using #6 turnouts instead of #4 if possible. And stay far away from Atlas' Snap Switches! Those are worthless junk heaps! The #4 Custom Line turnouts are much better.
I understand what you mean! I used those on my last layout, what a waist! but i know for a fact some of my container cars don't work on 18 radius so i guess it's a matter of if i can go 22", here is a pic of a loco i might buy, i guess the question is will it run on 22" no problem? And can you tell me more about these alternative turnout’s you know of? Where do u buy them? Are the electric? Who makes them? Do I have to get me online? Is there a huge black box attached to them? thanks :eek:hwell:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I understand what you mean! I used those on my last layout, what a waist! but i know for a fact some of my container cars don't work on 18 radius so i guess it's a matter of if i can go 22", here is a pic of a loco i might buy, i guess the question is will it run on 22" no problem? And can you tell me more about these alternative turnout’s you know of? Where do u buy them? Are the electric? Who makes them? Do I have to get me online? Is there a huge black box attached to them? thanks :eek:hwell:
That loco should have no problem running on 22". I have a Dash 9 and even, longer, SD90. I have tested both extensively at full speed(dangerous, but necessary) around my 18" radius track, and nothing has derailed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts