Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
We will will start with a new, clean wiring diagram I will post below. First, two issues appear in the pictures. There is an air chime whistle controller on the control panel, make sure it is not connected to the same loop of track that will contain the 600. They do not play nice together. They can both be used on the same track but the wiring and precautions needed are beyond the scope of this posting. The 690 track terminal on the outer loop of track is installed as Gilbert describes, all Gilbert instructions are drawn with the Base Post rail as the bottom or outer rail. The sole exception to that unfortunately is the instructions for the 600 which have the Base Post rail as the upper or inner rail! This will cause wiring errors.
To prevent any errors from Gilbert’s unfortunate drawing I have added the 690 Track terminal to the instructions for the 600. Note how it is upside down in the picture compared to the 707 track terminal. Note where the two fiber pins are shown. Also, if there is one, or two, pair of turnouts that connect the outer loop to the inner loop put a fiber pin in both rails between the two turnouts.
Before anything else make sure the track is set up and wired as shown. If it still does not work we can test each component one by one.

EEE6B095-EDD3-43DF-B5CB-1CE4FBDACAFB.jpeg

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
By loop I mean the track that the train runs on, the isolating fiber pins then go between the track switches that allow the trains to cross between otherwise independent loops of track. Track switches=turnouts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok thanks one other thing with the fiber pins u mean each rail so i would need 4 fiber pins because i only have 2 . if its just 2 so 1goes i one switch or both in one switch. Thanyou for your patience as u can see electrical is not my strong suite.
Al

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
To amflyer i want to thankyou very much for helping me. For your time and patience still not working when i hook the yellow wire to transformer red light goes on. Dont know why.for know i will leave iam going to finish up doing other things to the new layout i added. I really do appreciate your time and patience.

Al

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
There is a short in the wiring/equipment somewhere between the Base Post and the 15V post. There is an unfortunate choice of wire colors on the Gilbert diagram that might be an issue. Note that I marked the color of the wire from the 7 to 15V post to the 690 as white. Gilbert marked the wire connecting the 707 to the 670 as yellow, it should be white because it ultimately connects to the 7 to 15V post. Only the wire from the 15V post to the 670 should be yellow.
Let me know when you want to return to this project.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Late last night started working on 600 gate. Ck every thing if i leave yellow wire off train comes around. Bell goes off. Then if i put yellow wire on red light goes on transformer. Know two things the yellow wire wasnt long enough so i grabed another yellow wire that is heaver gage would that make difference. 2nd thing here is a picture i drew of the 690 track terminals on track before track switches and 600 gate. Would this make a difference.

Al
20200514_090752.jpg

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It looks like the inside rail is connected to the Base Post, correct? Can you add the location of the 670 to this picture? The wire gauge will not cause the red light on the transformer to come on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here is a scatch. Iam working at both jobs tonight. What i will do is take pictures of all the 690 track terminal on the inside i have another track laid on the outside tahat goes all around this the inside iam working on.
20200514_113108.jpg

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It appears from the pictures the outside rail is the Base Post and the inside rail is the 7-15V Post rail. The picture at the Log Loader shows black wires to the Base Post and Red wires to the 7-15V rail. I assume these red wires connect to the center post on the transformer. The picture at the Plasticville Church shows a black wire to the outside rail and red wire to the inside rail, I assume the 690 track clip is just attached backwards. The picture near the Operating Stockyard has two black wires connected to the 690 track clip, is the one on the right connected to the red wires under the layout? If that and my other assumptions are correct all the wiring I see in these pictures is ok. I need a picture of the track in front of the 600 that includes both fiber pins, the two 696 trips, the 670 trip and the 707 track terminals.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Al, this was quicker than I thought. The 670, 696's and 707 are all connected to the Base Post rail on your layout. Look closely at the 600 instruction drawing, it is not obvious at first but in the drawing all those items are on the 7-15V post rail. Whoever at Gilbert made that drawing put the Base Post rail at the top rather than at the bottom leading to endless confusion.
The easiest fix is to just swap all the wires connected to all the 696 track terminals on your layout. This will make the inside rail the Base Post and the outside rail the 7-15V Post. That way you will not have to redo all the wiring and fiber pins at the 600. It should work correctly with that change.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts