Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Not a problem working in yard today.
Take your time thankyou.
Al, this was quicker than I thought. The 670, 696's and 707 are all connected to the Base Post rail on your layout. Look closely at the 600 instruction drawing, it is not obvious at first but in the drawing all those items are on the 7-15V post rail. Whoever at Gilbert made that drawing put the Base Post rail at the top rather than at the bottom leading to endless confusion.
The easiest fix is to just swap all the wires connected to all the 696 track terminals on your layout. This will make the inside rail the Base Post and the outside rail the 7-15V Post. That way you will not have to redo all the wiring and fiber pins at the 600. It should work correctly with that change.
Thankyou i did see that but i figure d they marked it i will try thankyou four your help.
Al

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well i tryed it. Its just the two 696 track trip. If so nothing before the bell go off. With out the yellow wire connected. Know reversed it nothing at all. There has to be somthing iam doing wrong something small just can't see it. Thanks for the help
Al

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Al, sorry, my error. I typed 696 when I meant 690! My brain knew the right number but my fingers did not cooperate.
Put the 696 wiring back the way it was. Swap the wires on the four 690 track terminals visible in the pictures from yesterday. I assume there are only 4 690's on the inner loop. You will also have to swap the wire connections on the 690's on the outer loop as well or the will be a short when the train travels between loops.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Do you mean 690 i reread what you said i thing u mean the 690.
Al, sorry, my error. I typed 696 when I meant 690! My brain knew the right number but my fingers did not cooperate.
Put the 696 wiring back the way it was. Swap the wires on the four 690 track terminals visible in the pictures from yesterday. I assume there are only 4 690's on the inner loop. You will also have to swap the wire connections on the 690's on the outer loop as well or the will be a short when the train travels between loops.
Ok not a problem. Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well did what you say didnt work soon as i put the handle down the 600 gate goes down. So i took the 696 670 and 707 and fiber pins flipped them same thing. Dont know only is maybe 670 is bad i dont know. I will go threw and make sure the 690's wires are corrct. Aftet that i will leave it finish the other things iam hooking up. I am biding on 4 670 track trips see what happens. Once again thankyou verymuch for your help and patients.

Stay safe Al

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So today ck wires one i found on 690 was wrong fixed that doubled checked again. Then i did what u said switched wires. Soon as i turn on transformer put handle down 600 gate went down. So i swithced wires back. Then took 696 670 707 and fiber switched ed them. Same gate goes down. So i won the bid on 4 670 i will try them. I wonder if something in the gate is wrong. ???. Thanks al

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The fact that the gate goes down when track power is turned on indicates there is either: 1, power from the 7-15V Post connected to what is supposed to be the isolated 7-15V rail between the two fiber pins, 2, there is somehow an inadvertent connection from the 7-15V Post to terminal 3 on the 600 Gate, or 3, the 670 is bad.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
One other thing when the power is shut off shouldn't gate go back up. Because it stays down .

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can test the gate like this:
  1. Connect or verify connected the black wire of the gate to the base post of the transformer
  2. Touch the red wire of the gate to the 15V post and the gate should go down, lift the wire and the gate should go up.
  3. Seems to me that the gate should operate freely up and down by hand with no power.
  4. This might be best done with a spare transformer so it is isolated from everything else.
  5. As a further test, touch the green wire to the 15V post and the bell should ding (once). Touch it many times momentarily and the bell should ding many times.
Disclaimer: I have never seen a crossing gate. I did have a crossing flashers with bell that used the 696 track trips to ring the bell and flash the lights as the wheels crossed the trip. The 696 is a normally open momentary switch between the wire and the rail. They should be on the 7-15V rail.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mike, testing is as you say and the 696's indeed must be on the 7-15V rail. I have a 600 and never used it because it was hard to find a 670 detector/trip in working condition. Plus the can motored AM diesels, if used on the layout, do not draw enough current to provide reliable operation. The 600 has two independent functions, the gate and the bell are actuated separately. If I put a 600 on a layout now I would toss the 670 along with the fiber pins and use a Z-stuff 1070 or 1075 to actuate the gate. You likely used a 759, I have as well. They are reliable and only require one or two 696's.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
That is a 23601 in the video. Adding the weight may or may not work on a 600 which has an earlier design mechanism. The 23601 also does not have the upward shining light in the base that illuminates the lantern that hangs from the arm of the 600.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wondered about that, but thought it might be a hint in the right direction. Clearly, the mechanical linkage has to be clean and free, and there has to be enough weight to lift the arm and lantern. So that all needs to be checked.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Lift it by hand i really think its the 600. I have the kline book and it has a break down how to take it a part.
I have a 759 i cooked the solenoide by acidently it at portine getting recoiled. Thanyou for the info i will do it i took a chance and bid and one 670 trips hopefully there good i been working on this for a while ask amflyer he really been trying to get this to work. I thougjt this wpuld be an esdy setup guess what .not. Thanks Al
I wondered about that, but thought it might be a hint in the right direction. Clearly, the mechanical linkage has to be clean and free, and there has to be enough weight to lift the arm and lantern. So that all needs to be checked.
I fixed arm the small rod that brings arm down was slightly bent once fix that the arm works. Know just waiting for the 670s i bought. Thankyou

Al

41 - 60 of 65 Posts