Model Train Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Mike posted some information about ways to control crossing gates. As a slight diversion here is how the crossing gates on my S gauge layout work. It is moderately complicated but required no computers be used (or abused) in the process. The layout power is provided by 8 Power Districts (independent transformers.) These 8 power districts are subdivided into 70 blocks. About half of the blocks can be independently switched on and off (using LCS BPC2's.) Since multiple tracks are protected by a single set of crossing gates multiple power districts and track blocks must be able to activate the same gate. Here is how it works.
The crossing gates are Z-stuff and the block occupancy detection is with Dallee induction sensor boards. These provide flawless operation. Below is a picture of a road crossing two tracks. Looking under the layout the two Dallee boards are visible, one for each track. The outputs of these boards connect to the crossing gates. The wiring diagram is included. Positions 5 and 6 on the accessory bus is 12VDC to power the Dallee boards. Positions 13 and 14 are 14VAC to power the Z-stuff crossing gates. The track main power bus shown on the lower right is one of eight.
The setup for multiple tracks looks more complex than it is because the modern accessories are designed for many applications. A Gilbert 600 can do this but extra relays would be needed.

9D70B46B-382F-422E-94AA-5ED0436C9023.jpeg
AEA52D02-6024-487D-B01E-CBD513422A28.jpeg
B80D1324-0446-412C-BC11-B81AD5084423.png

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well boys the new 670 track trips came in so i put the 670 track trip on the right side. So i set every thing amflyer told me. And guess what hurray. Time to party thankyou every one for your input and help specially amflyer if i lived closer i buy you breakfeast. Thanks. Know can the one i started with can be fixed i have 3 more that came in with that 4 i bought. Hopefully. They r good. Thanks

Al

61 - 65 of 65 Posts