Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Spurred a related question. I see copper journals, one of the four colors: copper, nickel, black and brass.

I bought a buffing kit at HD ($7?): two 3" wheels and a 5 inch wheel and a hub for a drill. The kit came with two 2 sticks of "jewelers" compound. I've been buffing nickel journals. If the journal needs a lot of buffing, I noticed an orange tint to the metal sheen.

So I ask: Are nickel journals just copper with a nickel plate?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 45 today. The primer was OK. I did one coat of red and when dried I had a bleed through on the side frame . Possibly where there spots on the frame.. I will let it cure tonight and try second coat tomorrow.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to square one. The metal splotches found a way to bleed through So today I went and stripped the frame again. No pictures. Perhaps the frame still had residue from Easy Off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I washed my parts in a mixture of warm water and Dawn to get any oil and residue off of the parts. That was after a Dremel attack. I blew them off with a hairdryer to keep the corrosion to a minimum.

I'm pretty proud of my 604. I can't believe how much my 612 dwarfs it.

P3020135.JPG
P2270126.JPG
P2270127.JPG

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW you do top notch work!

My stripping went ok. I washed it down with liquid soap. Later I did a wipe down with paint thinner after some wire brushing. The pits bothered me so to counteracted any base. I used some gun blue acid and that evened out the finish on the sides. I have since primed again but no final coat yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks very nice. I was a little lucky in that I used a lighter color. It is harder to cover up imperfections with a darker color like your red. As a precaution (and a guess), I used some of that filler primer to help hide some of the blemishes that I might have not noticed.

You and TJ really do some nice work. A little bit of envy on my part.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very, very nice.

Did you use rattle cans for the finish coats? I used Henning's paint one time, and it is very good, but it took waaaay long to dry. Not the thing that you want to use when it is chilly outside.

I hope nobody falls out the doors on your 603 (jk). And, you might have some stagnant water on your layout if you have to use mosquito spray.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts