Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
T-Man,

Plenty of life in that ol' 'boose! Does the shell simply clip onto / underneath the frame to hold it in place?

TJ

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
T-Man,

Does the shell simply clip onto / underneath the frame to hold it in place?

TJ
One screw on each end I believe. The cheap 6017 types had a metal tab on each end of the frame that bent over the shell.

Have fun cleaning up that Caboose. Those are nice looking when they're cleaned up. I've got a 6257, a 6357 (essentially a 6257 with a light) and a couple 6017's. I love running them at the end of my trains.

·
Paper Shuffler Extraordinaire
1,611 Posts
Another T-man resurrection. Perhaps we should call him Dr. T-man? :D

Carl

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
One screw on each end I believe. The cheap 6017 types had a metal tab on each end of the frame that bent over the shell.
That's why I asked ... I have a few 6017's with the end-tabs. No easy way to get inside. With T-Man's bulb, I figured access must be more logical.

Thanks,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yup, in need of attention.

The frame is painted so after a wire wheel session I decided to strip it. I did remove the socket but the center tab of the battery boxes held tight so they stayed. The shell is screwed on. The ladders are atteched to the shell.The smokestack and side trucks are gray cast and never painted. Neither were the knuckles.

I did get two flatcars. One blue and the other the 3820 submarine without the sub and a broken knuckle. The blue is fine with two nonoperating couplers. Just a little soap.:D

The blue one is a 6502 girder flat car made in 1962. It was no numbered.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can't wait to see the pictures. T-Man, you should do an ebook of some of the rebuilds you've done. Really. I love to look at these posts and see the timeline of picts going from old relicto mint-looking museum piece.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you click my links. It will lead you to my photobucket acct. My pictures are there without comments .Unused ones are there too. I am also working on a brakeman car too. More on that later. These are all finds. I learn something from them and the colection grows. I like the battery boxes the best. I don't have a blog so that is why I do it here. What's an ebook? Is that a general term or something specific?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,333 Posts
Can't wait to see the pictures. T-Man, you should do an ebook of some of the rebuilds you've done. Really. I love to look at these posts and see the timeline of picts going from old relicto mint-looking museum piece.

I already told T man about publishing a book and he said no way.:D

E book T......An online book, ask $5 bucks for a download.
When you sell 1000 e books you will thank me.:D

Heck ask $9.99.:D:thumbsup:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Some painting.

Not great but does the job.
I did place the socket with out cleaning the frame so I wire brushed next to a tab and soldered it to the frame for the connection. Something I forgot to show.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The spring was shot so I have no light until I can find one. The center roller had so much corrosion I want to run it to get some wear. It didn't turn when I got it.

Otherwise complete.

The side trucks, knuckles and stack are cast and left unpainted. They have oil on them.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Wow, that really cleaned up nicely. I may be on the lookout for a 6457 to add to my collection at the next train show. I love the postwar cabooses. Can't ever have too many :D

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! It's a nice addition. The roller was hard to clean. A few miles will straighten it out. I plan on adding another socket. It is easier than taking one apart for parts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts