Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a quick check of a whistle tender. Four screws hold the shell on to the frame. Next remove the brush plate. It has two nuts and because of the wiring I removed the connection to the relay. On the right side right picture. The brush plate normally lifts off but the wire on the lower right was wrapped around the threads and jammed down by the washer. I used pliers to work it free. Then the plate easily lifted off. ALso on inspection one of my center wires was disconnected from the center pickup. That pickup has a broken spring. That funny center bar contains felt that holds oil for the spinning armature. Even though the other end has none.

Ugh. I used wd40 to clean the armature and the brushes. I rubbed the brushes on a piece of carboard lightly to clean the contact surface.

Next the copper was in good shape but I used 400 grit to smooth it out.

The sick pickup, and a bad screw post. I normally cut them out and replace it with epoxy and redrill a screw hole.

Last the whistle unit and relay

prr1361 asked about this in another thread.
That about explains it. Hope the relay works.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Nice job and great photo's. Makes me want to buy one and try my hand at it. *L*

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks again those pics will definitely come in handy. Ive uploaded a picture from last Christmas (2008). No Hi-railing just plain old tubular track with black poster board with white pinstripe for road. The surface is green indoor/outdoor carpet. The engine is an MTH-railking PRR F-3 with protosounds. For you viewing pleasure.....with more to come

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,341 Posts
Thanks T man, for the info.

Did it work when all was done?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ugh,,,,, it's still disasembled. Didn't have time to. The whistle was never a priority. I have a Marx whistle station and a whistle Lionel bldg like the watchman but only a whistle.
It should go if the relay is good. Glad you enjoyed it.

More pictures are in the photobucket account under 6466X

I cleaned the whistle edges with oil and a Q tip. I jump ran the motor and then placed it on the track with full power it ran. So the relay i good now I need to clean the wheels and fix the pickup.
Do you have a gasket between the plastic housing and the motor by the impeller?
I was thinking of making one out of construction paper.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,341 Posts
I only screwed around with one tender's whistle. It was in very poor shape.
That was last year and it's still sitting in the to do box all apart.:D

Is there a gasket between them I don't remember seeing one. I forgot which one I took apart. Might be a different #. I will have to look a it when I get a chance.

I agree...... put these fix it threads some where for easy access so they don't get buried somewhere.

Keep them coming T-Man. Great projects and pictures too, that you come up with.

I would like to try and add some but I just don't have the extra time. 60hrs a week working and my to do list around the house keep me busy enough. I barely have time to even look at my trains! :rolleyes:

I still have to get out there and get the leaves up before it snows. Little by little they are blowing away. Though I don't think the neighbors like where they are going.:D

Now the oven stopped working got to fix that too! I'm going to cook the thanksgiving day turkey in the barbecue this year! I have cooked large whole chickens in it and they came out GREAT. But a turkey's a whole lot bigger I am hoping it will come out fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok...so evertything was cleaned. Carbon brushes were replaced and the round housings for the brushes still get pretty hot. Im thinking this isnt normal, am I wrong? If not Im open for suggestions

THANKS

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The three surfaces are connected. With a voltmeter measure the resistance between them. Also look at the metal edges on the side for rubbing. Looking from the lower right and in.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i have a whistling tender very similar to this one and i need some information on these tenders in order to repair, i had to pull it apart and unfreeze the motor it was rusted shut and i tryed to clean the e unit up. the wires from the pickup rollers were frayed so i have replaced them. with the power off i can see the pickup on the e unit is open but when i power turn the controller on and put power to it i can see the pickup on the e unit close. my question is, do these needs a certain ac controller to run? and how do these e units work? i don't think the tender is supposed to whistle the whole tiem the engines running around the track.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The e unt is really a relay powered by DC. The lever whistle on the transformer sends a DC pulse for the relay, then the whistle motor starts.
If it whistles all the time, the DC is on all the time. A fault in the relay or transformer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i'm guessing a fault in the relay... but what is wierd is i have a small black ac controller. on this controller it it stays on all the time even after switching the wires and playing with the switch on the controller. now i have a newer lionel gray controller with the push button for the horn. i can use that controller and it doesn't come on till i push the horn button, but then it stays on.

·
Registered
891 Posts
all i know is both controllers are ac, one controller it's on all the time. the other controller it comes on when i push the horn button and stays on. i can look at the contact on the bottom of the relay and it's not touching till power is applied so its gotta be a short or something in the relay, this tender was really rusty, i cleaned it up some but it still look bad.

i dunno if this answers your question on "does it work with ac" but i guess u were asking if i was using a dc controller? i don't know how to answer that lol

·
Registered
891 Posts
Normally they don't work at all. Is it wired correctly?
i never re-wired it and i don't think it was ever touched. if you want i can take it apart make a video and post it on youtube.

i'm sure the 2 pickup wires i replaced are in the rite spot, i put them back where the old ones came off.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am currently searching Lionel Siupplements for a diagram. All the mechanical whistles are the same until they went electronic.
ehh, i just checked it again. it looks like it may be working rite now. it takes a few seconds to go off after pushing the button, but that may be something else . with the engine on the track it trips the transformer. i did re wire the loco for forward only ac. the e unit drum was broke so i drilled a hole in it put a screw in it and cut it so it fit like it was supposed to, but the motor just hesitates and blew the breaker in the transformers.

·
Registered
891 Posts
ok, it only stays on all the time with the black controller. i think it works rite with the gray one however when a engine is connected it slows the engine way down sometimes trips the controller. i think i need a better transformer lol

·
Yard Master & Research
10,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The drum must be shorting out. DOn't use it with the tender. It doesn't have to move. The Lionel Diagrams are here

The problem is trying to find it. It is not indexed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts