Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting back to the winter Greenberg show, I got a condenser car that was broken. Here is the fix.

First a normal one. Then sanded after the first round of epoxy.

The second dab of epoxy. The sand and drill with a 1/16th drill.

The final was painted over with acrylic orange. DOne.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to show what the whole car looks like. One thing about these is that they are fragile. The frame has a big hole and tends to break if dropped.I still have to fix a chip missing on one of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
T-Man,

Nice repair. It's interesting to see the color difference between those two old Lionel cars. I guess that's quite common to see different shades of paint, I guess depending how the factory mixed things way back then, huh?

Thanks for sharing!

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Nice repair, T-man. What exactly is that crate-looking load on the flat car?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 1977 Greenburg Guide referred to it as the Atomic Reactor Car. The company Allis Chalmers may have done contract work in that time period. The modern Doyle calls it a heat exchanger. Previous to that, I read that it was a condenser. Actually, I have no idea what prototype was modelled.

After Google, it is reproduced in Lionel's Postwar Classic Series Condenser wins!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Looks like a heat exchanger to me ... one fluid would flow through the inside of the pipes and flanges shown, another fluid would flow outside and around all of this. Hot kisses cold; cold kisses hot ... one thing leads to another ... the lights dim ...

Uhh ... wait a minute ...

What was I talking about?!?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Looks like a heat exchanger to me ... one fluid would flow through the inside of the pipes and flanges shown, another fluid would flow outside and around all of this. Hot kisses cold; cold kisses hot ... one thing leads to another ... the lights dim ...

Uhh ... wait a minute ...

What was I talking about?!?
I'm not sure, but "...kisses cold" and the dim lights make it sound like you ran across my ex-wife.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,021 Posts
Looks like a nice cage for T's Dinosaurs.:D

Nice simple fix T.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts