Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out the correct way to assemble the flapper for a bulb style smoke unit.

I have the bracket, with a plastic tab and a spring.

The hole on the plastic tab makes the alignment easy. Hole for a screw and a slot for the bracket,

The spring coil goes around the screw.

Attachments

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Bob, What exactly is your question? Is it the spring, that you have the question about, as to how it attaches? The only diagram I found, which didn't show how the spring attaches, was from my Repair Manual, under the 726 loco. The same set up for the smoke bulb version is listed in the 726 loco section. All the turbines I own (5 of them) are the later 1947-? versions, with the pellet type smoke units.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

My concern was the spring and the plastic cam. The short end of the spring does point up, but on my first attempt I had the spring between the frame and the plastic cam. What this did was force the cam against the engine frame away from the driver pin. So the spring had to sit on the outside. For mor tension I bent the spring to 90 degrees and a little patience got it back together.

It works like a champ!

Attachments

·
3,016 Posts
Glad you got it workin..

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's keep going, The bulb smoke unit.

Take it apart and clean it. The probem was the ground connection. I cleaned the socket and bulb bracket, which has a frame contact on the bottom so that both sides needed cleaning. AlsoI did clean the bottom of the assembly where it sits on the frame

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry, I just have no other engines. This is a first for me. I did find a reference that some pellet units do use this spring cam method, The end is modified to hold the bell .

When I took it apart the spring was the last piece removed so I thought it just wasn't right. Now with these pictures you can easily see how it is done. You can barley see the front of the spring fits into the two holes and points inward to the frame.

Also I did learn something about the atomic motor that ever owner should know!!!!!!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sercrets of the atomic motor

It just figures that this is the last piece of information I learned about the 671. Now I did clean the reverse unit it lays on it's side and has a spring under the pall. The owner said it would only in reverse . I got it on the track and nothing. HMMMM OK the reverse unit did bench test but not on the track? What was different. Well I looked at the funny plugs . Two sockets and one plug. The plug is connected to the positive wire on the coil so if it is disconnected or plugged to the right side , It will no switch. Only when connected to the left side will the reverse rotate and switch directions. Good Grief Charlie Brown.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To access the motor I unsoldered the center wire to remove the brush plate. These pictures give you the idear of the cooriginal condition. I just talked with the owner and it was his Dad's who is passing it down to the grandkids:)

Attachments

·
3,016 Posts
Wow, talk about a neglected maintenance schedule, and probable poor storage over time. You had your work cut out for you....I’m just glad I have the later versions of turbines. They are a lot easier to work on, with less parts, to go wrong. Those early 1946 versions have a totally different E unit, that lays flat, and the plug arrangement for direction control can be confusing, unless you understand the motor connections that make the various motors to run. You, yourself know how it all works, so that doesn’t present any problems.

·
3,016 Posts
Bob, I went back into the Repair Manual, to understand what you were working on. That loco is a 671R, and not the standard 671 model. Looking at the brush plate, the left jack is #1, the right side is jack#2. You need to find out what “Tender” he has. He could possibly have a 4671W tender, which decides where to plug the correct jack. If the tender is in fact a 4671W, the plug from the tender gets plugged into jack #1jack, and reversing is controlled by the remote unit under the tender frame.

If he has another tender, such as a 671W/2046W, The the reversing is controlled through the E unit, with the corded plug inserted into jack #1. By plugging into jack #1, it puts the E unit into the circuit.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The owner knows very little and is looking for the tender.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The spring tension was in creased and stretched about 1/4 inch out of the solenoid, I also worked on rust sore spots and any contact surface on the pall. Road testing now and trying to cleanup the rollers. Plenty of track time and oil will do that!

My track is a perfect test run. If it runs there it will run anywhere.:)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,219 Posts
Ho Ho Ho, If the T Man (AKA Epoxy Man) cant fix it..........no one can! :D:thumbsup:

Bob, Merry Christmas to you and the family. :smokin:

·
3,016 Posts
Balidas, Just figure which version you are dealing with, whether 1946, smoke bulb unit, without an E unit, orthe later Pellet style, and E unit. Got a question, just pop back here for an answer?? If you want to know what tender would match a specific year of your turbine, I can answer it. I have the majority of the books on Prewar, and Postwar, including Sets for both.
Teledoc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts