Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, back this past December I started thinking about doing a model train and even asked for advice on this very forum. In the end, I decided to do a very simply oval loop with one siding layout with my Dad’s old 1950’s O-27 Marx train set.

This is my first real train set, but, after 7 months of planning and puttering around, I got it done and am pleased with how it turned out. In hindsight, I would have done many things differently, but that’s what hindsight is for right? I’ll post a few photos and you can let me know what you think!
0129141836.jpg
0215141043.jpg
0309141215.jpg
0309141923a.jpg
0404142013.jpg
0405141843.jpg
0414142106.jpg
0414142111a.jpg
0414142113b.jpg
0614140714a.jpg
0614140714b.jpg
0625141951.jpg
0625141952.jpg
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 11.jpg
Picture 20.jpg
Picture 37.jpg
Picture 43.jpg
Picture 51.jpg

Picture 9.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,280 Posts
I just posted this before, a copy and paste.
I added your handle to it. You have a lot of pictures, please consider doing this.

A copy and paste,

Hey SSBN743 if you want to, it is so much better to look at a photo instead of going back and forth clicking on each link.

To make the pictures show as a picture is real easy.
If you want,

go back to the last 2 posts (make the go back to your post) and click edit, then click go advance, then go up top to the paper clip and click.
Then click insert all, they will all show up as a picture in your post now, instead of a link.

If you only had one picture you do all that and just click what shows. But more then one picture it will say insert all.

Try it?
If you want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just posted this before, a copy and paste.
I added your handle to it. You have a lot of pictures, please consider doing this.

A copy and paste,

Hey SSBN743 if you want to, it is so much better to look at a photo instead of going back and forth clicking on each link.

To make the pictures show as a picture is real easy.

If you want,

go back to the last 2 posts (make the go back to your post) and click edit, then click go advance, then go up top to the paper clip and click.

Then click insert all, they will all show up as a picture in your post now, instead of a link.

If you only had one picture you do all that and just click what shows. But more then one picture it will say insert all.

Try it?

If you want.
Thank you very much – I was trying to figure out how to do that when I initially posted :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking very good. :smilie_daumenpos:

Your lake came out better than mine is so far.

Magic
Boy, the lake… Everything I read said it was the easiest thing to do but it gave me a lot of problems. I re-did it at least 4 times and it took 4 weeks by itself. My first few attempts I tried to use black and blue and green for the lake bottom; but I hated it every time.

So in the end I went with the Woodland Scenics method with earth tones for the lake bed. To be honest, I still don’t really like it and would rather it be blue-ish in color, but I don’t know it turned out well enough I guess.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,280 Posts
It looks like you could have built it a lot larger huh?

It is much easier to look at pictures instead of clicking links especially if the thread gets large.

Yours are like mine, too large.
note to all, Hit control and the minus sign at the same time and you won't have to scroll back and forth side to side to read.

I think mine is in my camera setting, I have been waiting for an answer on a easy way to make them smaller, been waiting for a while now. I don't like using Photobucket.

Nice layout, the lake does look good. Did you take pictures of the steps you used in it's construction?

Expansion on the horizon? :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Looks great! :appl: I really like the water tower perched on that ledge, but I like all of it.

The only thing left over from Grandpa's day were stories of his Christmas layout (standard gauge, mix), and a single Grey Iron conductor figure. My first set of O was Marx.

Actually I bought a bell ringing Marx crossing sign first because it intrigued me and then a Marx set. Marx trains are cool for their simplicity and the tin litho designs. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Looking great! Love your scenery and just how much you were able to do in a small space without making it look like you shoe-horned it in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah – I took a ton of pictures, 246 to be exact, the ones I posted are just the major steps.

From the start I had a general idea of what I wanted, but some of the stuff was winged plain and simple.

The water tower for example and hill it’s perched on. I didn’t like the tower kit’s instructions for constructing the base, in fact the instructions were virtually non-existent and I found the lengths of wood very hard to accurately work with. With the base being so exposed, it didn’t look good at all.

So, I bought a new desk lamp that came in the box with Styrofoam – Styrofoam that became that little hill for the water tower to sit on; it was the perfect width and height. Then I just cut the base of the water tower as desired and am really pleased with how it turned out – but really, it wasn’t planned at all.

The corners are also very functional. The original power pack for the Marx train had a stuck rheostat or something. It worked, but only at full throttle; I bought another one off of E-bay and had the same problem. At that point I just bought a new Lionel power pack but quickly noted that it had a much higher power output, albeit at the same voltage, than the original Marx transformer. So, with not much effort at all it was easy to get the train moving so fast it would fly off the track at the corners, hence the little hills around each of the corners.

It’s funny too, that old Marx train is amazing; the light bulb in the front still works and has never been replaced to my knowledge. But it’s old too; it takes a couple of laps to warm up but when it does it starts moving and you need to throttle down or fly off the track.

Anyway, it obviously doesn’t do scale speed like DCC or anything and performs exactly like it was designed, as a toy train, but it was really fun for me to build. I had a general plan, mostly in my head, but in the end it became a culmination of design and necessity – pretty fun! In a way - it’s kind of sad now that I’m done! I’m sure I’ll find something else to add on :)

I’m already plotting a HO train this winter!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,280 Posts
Have you ever took the shell off of the locomotive and serviced it?
Takes a few laps to warm up? It might need a little cleaning and lube?
Clean rollers and wheels help in the running too, as with clean track and tight connections.

You have at least put a little lube on it right?
If so what kind? A lot of us just use mostly regular motor oil. Though some parts on certain locomotives do require a little heavy lube. Mostly on a worm gear. That Marx doesn't have a worm gear so your good with just motor oil.

Oil or lube I stress use a LITTLE, too much is no good.

·
16,661 Posts
Just seeing this layout. Nice work. I especially like the pond surface, and love that you've brought some new life into your Dad's old Marx trains. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing!

TJ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice job, BUBBLEHEAD! lol!
FT2/ss SSBN 728 (B)
You picked up on that huh? I was an ETR1/SS when got out; started off as an RM but got cross rated to ET right before I got to the boat. Also did runs on the SSN 773 and the SSN 23 – always nice to talk to another bubblehead!

Beautiful layout. Three S's small, simple, and scenic. Is that O27 track?
Thank you, yes it’s my dad’s Marx O-27 track and train. He believes that his dad bought it for him (used) when he was a kid. He was born in 1954, so we’re figuring 1960-1964. So we think it was made in the late 50’s – I’ve also found a website that helps gauge the age of the old Marx stuff, so we think it’s like 1956-1958; and the headlight still works. My dad thought it was a smoking loco too – but it’s not, so that helped us date it too.

Anyway, I’m glad you like it – been working on an HO layout for a year and haven’t got very far. There’s so much to learn and buy now that it’s almost unbelievable. One day, I’ll get a bead on it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I remember reading ”three rail trains are still in the toy classification“.
Clearly they aren't based on the effort put into this layout. Looks fantastic, hope my ho scale layout is close to that good. I am going to use felt for grass. So not nearly as detailed as yours.
Awesome job!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts